Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: I need help with Molly's accidents!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 3 year old Cocker and have not been able to house break her. Let me say first that I have tried everything. I've read articles, I've watched videos, I even bought a dog training program guaranteed to work. I have taken one idea at a time and used this idea consistently for long periods of time. When that doesn't work, I try something else and in the mean time my carpet shampooer is getting quite a workout.

Lately, I have been taking her out about every hour to an hour and a half, put her in her crate, and take her out again, then put her back in her crate. I hate not having her beside me or on my lap but I just can't take the chance. I have even put down puppy pads and she will "go" beside them. Anyway, I think puppy pads just convey the message that it's okay to do that in the house.

Aside from her wearing Depends, what can I do? Is she set in her ways and it's futile to try?
Is she spayed? Sometimes it can really help a dog work on his/her housetraining if she/he is fixed. I'm not sure the exact science behind it. But I've been told that by vets before.

Also, have you talked this over with your vet? Maybe your Molly has something strange health-wise to do with her urinary tract? I would see if you can get some professional advice from your vet, especially if you have indeed, tried everything! Because this sounds just horrible.

I've house broken most of my foster puppies pretty quickly. Mostly this involved keeping them very close to me on a lead wrapped around my waist. That way, I could see when they started their pee smelling acts and I could get them outside.

One more quick question: when Molly goes inside, do you interrupt her mid-pee and take her out, or let her finish?
Hi FlanneryCam! Molly was spayed 2 months ago. I thought the problem would at least improve but i was wrong. I had her to the Vet and he said she is perfectly healthy. There is a new update to this story. She actually peed on my couch last night. Not just a dribble but a full out gusher! I am so frustrated I'm beside myself. Lately I have been using the crate technique but I sure hate leaving her in her cage, only to bring her out to walk her. It's not enjoyable to either of us. I just have to keep trying and be consistent hoping that one day I can put the carpet shampooer to rest. I won't give up.

Well, I'm off now. Walmart is having a sale on adult diapers!
Has she fully recovered from the spay? Because to me, this seems a little crazy! Like a behavioural issues. Does she seems upset when she pees on the couch? Is she looking at you and peeing? Hiding from you and peeing?

I would love to help, but this is a hard one when I can't see exactly what she's doing when she goes. Keep on crating her and trying to get her to associate your house as her bed and not her pee space. Keep us informed.