Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Training a "Bolter"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I love my dog. He's great. He's sweet, gentle (for a big guy), travels well and is great with his foster-siblings.

BUT. Of course, there's a but. No dog is perfect.

Still, this problem is starting to 1) scare me and 2) annoy me and 3) make me lose my patience with my dog. He has a really bad habit of bolting out the front door when someone opens it, leaves without him, etc. Now I live in the country most of the time. So when he bolts and goes for a walk in my very small town, it's okay. I hate it, but he's not in a big danger of getting hit by a car. But when I'm in the city, my heart practically stops. My dog is going to get hurt.

In the dog park, he returns when I call him. When he bolts, he doesn't.

And my dog is fast. I've never met a dog who can keep up with him, let along a human. Help?
One of our dogs has a habit of doing the same thing. I have also tried addressing the problem but it's one of those things that require two people to correct.

Have you tried training him to heel? Try something like this, have a person hold a 20 ft leash with him tethered to it. Practice going in the door (e.g. the typical scenario where he bolts). The other person holding the leash (who's inside your hold) should figure out your dog's "bolting" stance. Correct the bolting stance by disrupting the behavior (either by saying no or doing what Cesar Millan does, a "TSST" sound). Then reinforce the correction by saying "TSST" or no once you open the door so he stops to his tracks before he reaches you. I hope this work for you.

A little training will go a long way. Also, if you do take him out for walks, have him sit down before going out of the door. Make sure you go out first and he follows and not the other way around.

Good luck.
My Papillion mix used to do this all the time. He would bolt out the door and run for at least a block. Then the kids would get upset and chase him for blocks. When it was just me and he would do it, I would shut the door and not chase. He always stayed closer to the house and returned within an hour or so. Running after him made it worse, but he loved it.

Now we live in a different neighborhood and he doesn't bolt anymore. I think he's just getting older and not as energetic. Plus, without us chasing him there is no "game" to it anymore an it's not fun for him.
I know exactly what you mean, my dog used to do the same thing. He has gotten a lot better, and I don't know if its from my training, or just because he's gotten older.

They way I trained him, was to open the door wide open, but sit directly in front of it, so he can't get past me. He kept trying to get past, but I'd just grab him, and push him back inside, and just calmly say 'Nooo' each time. Eventually, he'd start to realize he can't get by, but he'd still want out. I'd just tell him to sit, and once he finally did, I tell him he;s a good boy, and give him some love. Then, I'd take him inside, and shut the door.

I did this for awhile, and like I said, he has changed, but I really don't know if it was due to what I did. But who know, maybe this will help. I know what you mean when you say how scared you get when he gets out in the city.
Benefits of In Home Dog Training

Training a dog is the most important aspect as a dog owner. With the right training, you will have an easier time with the dog and it can perform simple tasks. There are many people who prefer buying a dog that has already been trained so as to avoid spending time and effort having them trained. Many people usually opt to have their dogs taken to a training center and going to take them when they are done.

In home dog training classes can be expensive, often costing hundreds more than the normal classes, forcing many dog owners to shy away. Many in-home trainers usually have flexible terms of payment to help dog owners have an easier time paying for the services. With an in-home training service, you may need fewer sessions and this helps in reducing the final costs. In-home dog training can be a great investment for dog owners. Some of the benefits you can expect from in home dog training are.
What I did for my dog was to block his way every time he wanted to get out, and try to redirect his attention to somewhere else. But there were times that I couldn't block him in time, so he just ran outside and I had to spend extra money on a dog tracker just in case. But there were times where he would just stop before he would reach past the door, and I would just give him treats for that.
[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,] I totally get where you're coming from, and it sounds like your pup has a serious case of the "bolting blues." It's understandable that it's stressing you out, especially in the city where there are more risks.[/font]
[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]First off, big props to you for recognizing the issue and seeking advice. Dealing with a speedster dog can be nerve-wracking, to say the least.[/font]

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]So, here's a friendly suggestion based on my own experiences and those of friends: Have you tried the good ol' reliable long leash or training lead? It can give your furry friend a bit of freedom while still keeping them under control.[/font]

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]Start by using it in a secure, enclosed space like your backyard or a quiet park. Let your dog explore but keep a gentle hold on the leash. Whenever he comes back to you on his own, throw a mini celebration – treats, praise, the whole shebang! The idea is to make coming back to you the best thing ever.[/font]

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]Once he's acing it in a controlled environment, gradually introduce the long leash in more distracting places. The goal is to build up that recall response, so when he thinks about bolting, the memory of awesome treats and praise pulls him back in.[/font]

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]Also, reinforcing basic commands like "stay" or "wait" at the door might help prevent the urge to dash out in the first place.[/font]
[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]Remember, patience is key, and it might take a bit of time. But with your love for your dog and some consistent positive reinforcement, you could see some pawsitive changes. ? Good luck, and hang in there![/font]

[font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,][font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]By the way, I came across this great article on dog behavior issues and solutions at cuddlycare101.com that you might find interesting[/font][font=Söhne, ui-sans-serif, system-ui, -apple-system,]. It covers a range of topics, and who knows, there might be some additional tips there that could be useful for your situation.[/font][/font]