Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Removing dog waste
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dog poop is a nagging problem in most homesteads. This is because dogs are not as discrete as cats because they litter all over the compound. In our place, some people train their dogs to defaecate in specific areas while others have to remove it manually. Some scientists were reported sometime past that they had developed a mechanism where the dog waste would be in crystal form on exposure to the air though I don't hear any of this stuff nowadays. How do you dispose your dog waste?
I am usually with my dogs while they are outside. So when they do poop I usually pick it up with a doggy bag and throw it in our trash bin for the garbage men to pick it up. When I just had my Malamute I would go out there every other day and pick up the poop but once we got our german shepherd is when I started using the doggy bags. My german shepherd likes to eat his poop after he is done and then we would go and eat my malamute's as well. So that is why I have to hang outside with them to pick up the poop. Otherwise he would have a snack after he poops every time.
A lot of dogs are trained so they only poop when their owners are walking them. Most people pick up the dog poo right away and it usually goes to the trash bin. If it happens in your own yard, then you can always use some extra fertilizer. Big Grin If not, then it can always be thrown out with the trash.

(04-15-2016, 12:06 AM)mett1982 Wrote: [ -> ]I am usually with my dogs while they are outside. So when they do poop I usually pick it up with a doggy bag and throw it in our trash bin for the garbage men to pick it up. When I just had my Malamute I would go out there every other day and pick up the poop but once we got our german shepherd is when I started using the doggy bags. My german shepherd likes to eat his poop after he is done and then we would go and eat my malamute's as well. So that is why I have to hang outside with them to pick up the poop. Otherwise he would have a snack after he poops every time.

Eat his own poop?
It is a disgusting habit. Eek I have heard of dogs eating the poop of other species including humans', but his own? WowIcon_eek I guess you have to be extra quick to pick up his poop as soon as he is done and put them where he can't reach.
I live in the province and just at the back of our house is a wooded area. We have a pile of old news papers we spread out under the table so they will have a place to defecate when they have to be locked in at night. We don't have a doggy door on our backdoor being careful of not to let our dogs run around at night because of the possibility of them being abducted. There are cases of dogs with certain breeds that get abducted, never to be seen by their owners again. Anyway, we just use those newspapers and change them every time our dogs poo and we get rid of the poop at the woods and the newspapers properly disposed off.
The front yard which is concrete and the backyard which is grassy are the toilet areas of our 3 dogs. With urine in the backyard, it is not an issue but urine in the concrete front yard would smell so we have to wash it off with half a bucket of water. For defecation, the poop would be covered with soil. We have a pile of clean and soft soil for this purpose. After a day, the covered poop can be picked up using a dust pan and stick broom. That applies to the front yard. With the backyard, the covered poop would decay into fertilizer so it is not needed to be cleaned up.

When we first got a puppy, that toilet training was the first issue and second is the toilet itself. That's why it is imperative for us to teach our dogs the proper toilet training, i.e. to use the yard for their call of nature. They never release anything inside the house because they know it is a sin.