Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: We saw through fish!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The other day in a pet store my kids and I saw some amazing fish. Some with bright colors and some with huge eyes. Some with stripes and some with great body shapes.

But this was a first for us. We were walking by a tank and inside were some some see through fish! You could see right through them! It was so wild. You could see their little backs (not a fish person) . I bet there is a real word for that.

Does anyone know the name of these fish? We have forgotten and we wanted to research a bit about them. My son was fascinated!
The first fish species come to my mind with a transparent body is glass fish.

Without an actual photo, I can't tell you what species it is. If you were in the fish store, surely they have the fish species labeled on the tank, don't they?
I would go with glass fish as well. Not sure whether it applies today but when I had my aquatic shop we started to get "coloured" glass fish sent over from Singapore. These had a coloured line down the spine, coloured blotches on the gills, the remainder being clear. The story was that these were literally painted by hand, as it did appear some would have "paint" flakes missing we had no reason to suppose otherwise.
What you saw were definitely Indian glass fish. They are transparent except for a yellow line down the spine and a few colored dots here and there. They evolved to be transparent in order to hide from predators in plain sight. They're very popular in Asia where they originated and are tropical fish, preferring warmer water and lots of light.