Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Proper bathing of dogs at home
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I used to bring my dogs to the salon for the twice a month bathing and grooming. But when we noticed that our dogs had ticks after going to the salon, we stopped bringing them and I just studied on how to bathe my dogs properly.

First is the place of bathing, it should not be exposed to wind so the dog will not feel cold. And when the temprerature is quite cold, use warm water. Shampooing is the first step then rinse and use soap - this second soaping adds prevention of pests. After bathing, dry the coat with the towel and use electric fan or blow dryer. Make sure to dry the coat before you let the dog go, never let the dog dry by itself. And for better results, applly talcum powder.
I think the ticks have always been somewhere hiding in your dog's coat and underneath the paws and that they got out of hiding because of the clipping and bathing. This is the case with my dog. They cannot remove the ticks at the shop because it will risk the spreading of the eggs and they will have ticks at their place. I bring my dog at the grooming shop every 3 months or when her fur is already too long because she always has the risk of tick infestation. I'd always request for her fur to be cut short so that I can easily remove the ticks. Surely enough, she'll have dead ticks sticking on her fur after grooming. There will be some that are still alive.

I usually scour her fur and her paws and I would see a lot of ticks in hiding so I remove them myself and drown them in water if she's not yet ready to be groomed. I bathe her myself every 4-5 days when the weather is too hot.
Baby shampoo is the key. Its cheaper than dog shampoo, not harsh on thier hair, won't hurt thier eyes, and it smells great!!
Thanks for sharing these tips, my dog actually enjoys bathing but then also will take care of the things that you guys have listed above.
I would recommend baby shampoo. It is simply amazing and works perfectly when bathing them