Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Inside or Outdoor Cat? Both?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I grew up visiting my grandparent's farm where they had up to twenty to forty cats at any given time.  They were there to hunt down pests like rabbits, mice, rats, and snakes.  They were fed twice a day but never allowed to come inside.  They were very nice cats despite never being outside.  They would let you pick them up, carry them around, pet them, and feed them scraps.  Most of the summer was spent finding the next litter which we would bribe the mama cat to tolerate us while we pet her kittens.  They were true outdoor farm cats with no experience of being in a house.

Then we received a pair of kittens for Christmas, one for my sister and one for me.  The house we were renting were feral versions of my grandparents cats but they were there to serve the same purpose.  Our cats were a couple months old so they were just a little smaller than a full grown adult.  We trained them to go outside to deal with their business because we didn't like litter duty.  It also allowed them to climb trees and hunt.  My sister's cat got ran over but mine survived and when we moved into town, he was allowed to go outside when he wanted.  He had a round of houses where he got food and company.  

After he died, we moved to a bigger city and had to keep our cats inside full time.  It was kind of okay but they would always try to sneak outside.  The oldest would run as far as he could to see what he can, and we almost lost him a couple times.  The younger brother would just go out the door wander and then lay down until you picked him up to take him back into the house.  They never lost that desire to run out the door even though they were very loving pets. 

So I was wondering what your opinion is on cats.  Should they be only outdoor or only indoor cats?  Or perhaps both?  My indoor cats lived the longest but my indoor/outdoor cat was probably a happier cat because he got to roam, hunt, and be adored by many.
I think it depends on the situation and where you live. I grew up on a farm and we always had outside or "barn" cats. After I became an adult and lived in an apartment, I had inside cats. I didn't dare let them outside because I lived right next to the street and I didn't want them to get hit by a car or run away. Neighbors of mine had a small kitten inside and then they put him outside because they said he "meowed" too much. I was so afraid that the kitten would get out in the street, so I gathered him up and took him inside my apartment. I did ask the person that had the kitten if they cared if I took him. They of course didn't care. I still have him and that's been 7 years ago.

I've been back on the farm for a couple years now and all of my cats are country cats. Some of my inside cats had never been outside before and they love to watch and chase the birds, even though they'll never catch one. My cats are outside part of the day and they have their own house that they stay in at night because of the coyotes that lurk nearby. I think being outdoors every day has made my cats healthier because they get more exercise than they did before, plus it's good that they get fresh air and sunshine.
I have an indoor cat who, on rare occasions, wants to go out. When he wants to go out, I let him but just because it doesn't happen often. I prefer he stay indoors because of the high flea population here in Georgia. I know I should probably encourage him to get out more, but I don't want the flea battle I had on my hands when I first got here.
Those are great points. I do think that the situation where you lived changes what options you really have. My indoor/outdoor cat lived in a small town where the traffic was slow because there was rarely anyone behind you. While my indoor cats were definitely urban cats. Though I wasn't as worried about them getting ran over as I was the coyotes. The city I live has packs of coyotes that travel between condominiums and eat out of the garbage. But I can understand not wanting your cat to get ran over. I was just wonder which you thought were happier. Comparing all my cats, I still think my outdoor/indoor cat was a happier healthier cat even though his life was shorter.
(08-23-2016, 03:19 PM)CatCuddler57 Wrote: [ -> ]Those are great points.  I do think that the situation where you lived changes what options you really have. 

Yes this certainly matters.  I consider myself very lucky to live in a place where it is quite safe to let the little guys roam free.  For that reason I have never really seen the need to have an indoor cat, and at a certain point it seems a little bit mean to deny them that option.  I never really understood why some people have indoor cats if they live in the area that I am in, but I guess it just comes down to a personal choice and for that, to each their own is what I like to say.  That said, though, I can certainly see where there are situations and living arrangements where you would have to have an indoor car.  I know that my Aunt lives in a tiny little apartment in New York, so I am betting that she has never even thought twice about letting her little friend outside.  Either way though, indoor or outdoor, I just hope that they are loved and cared for.  Thanks for sharing.