Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Dogs That Are Scared When It Storms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Some dogs are scared when it thunders and others it doesn't bother at all. The dog I have now is terrified of storms and loud noises. She always knows before anybody else when it's going to rain because she gets a scared look on her face and starts panting. I have to make sure that her pen is secured because she has previously chewed her way out when it storms. If she is outside when it starts, she tries to get in the house. A few times I've let her in because I feel sorry for her.

In 2009, we had straight line winds come through our area. Afterwards, it looked like a war zone with all the trees that were down. When that happened, my dog was in her pen and a tree fell on the pen and crushed it. Thankfully, none of the animals were hurt, but I think maybe that is why she is so scared when it starts to rain. The other two dogs here, oneĀ belongs to my mom and one belongs to my brother, aren't bothered at all by storms. When I was a kid, we had a beautiful collie that looked like Lassie and he was terrified of storms too. Do you have a dog that's frightened by storms?
Our first dog Jedi didn't mind the rains. But when the thunder roars, she would bark as if angry at the thunder. Jedi is a big medium sized dog and very ferocious. Our second dog is Epoy, a cuddly pekingese who trembles when thunder strikes. But like Jedi, he didn't mind the rains no matter how heavy.

Our dogs now seem to be scared of the rain especially when it is pouring, they are wary as if waiting for thunder. And when thunder is heard, they would be running to a corner. Barbie, our youngest and only female dog, would approach the nearest person. She wanted to be cuddled during the rains. That is our problem with the dogs when there is a storm particularly when there is continuous heavy rains. We have to herd the dogs inside a bedroom with loud music.