Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Purina's drive to promote pets in the workplace
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I just saw this mentioned on an evening News show, but in looking it up, I found out it actually started back in December of 2012. Just look up Purina pets in workplace and you should find some articles on it. It's very interesting reading and even though I don't work out of the home, I think it's a great idea as long as the pet is happy and comfy and of course, well potty trained and gets regular exercise at other times.

I had some friends who owned a bookstore and took their cat to work with them. He would just lounge around and looked very contented. Of course, he had a litter box in a spot made just for that and had a food and water bowl there.

I think everyone at work would probably have to agree to it though, maybe even sign something, since one can never be sure that pets are 100% flea and tick free. What are your thoughts on this?
This might be just me. I do not think it is a good idea to keep pets at workplace for several reasons.
1. Your boss might not like it.
2. Your co-workers might not like it.
3. It can be a distraction to your work and the people around you.

The only pet with the least distraction should be a fish or two in a small aquarium, but even that is not a good idea since we do not go to work every day and the pets need to be taken care of on daily basis.

You can certainly do whatever you like if the boss permits or if you are your own boss. Smile
This idea might be feasible in small owner run businesses, but even I would avoid some bushinesses that had animals there. Some places just need to be clean / hygienic like hospitals, restaurants and even banks.

Just imagine a cat sitting on the bench next to judge in the courtroom, or a rabbit hopping around between jail cells, visiting death roll inmates. Popcorn

I do know of some hospitals that have therapy dogs, but they are kept to extreme hygiene specifications. Animals have a way to lighten the hearts of the sick, and they are also very therapeutic whith autistic and traumatised children.

My husband worked at a petroleum refinery and they had cats (spayed and neutered) to help them control the bug, mice and dove problems they have there. it is too dangerous to use some kinds of chemicals around a plant and the cats are a natural way of keeping the pests away. There are food and water set out for the cats every day. I know farmers and some grain storage facilities also employ cats for the same pest control reasons.

Another problem with pets at work are abusive people, who will kick,bully and harm the animals. even fish will get targeted. Some people do not love and respect animals, and will harm them to quench their sadistic thirst.
Yes, good points, Ram. Some co-workers or even the boss might agree to it just to be nice but not really like it. It definitely would need a trial period. I don't know too much about a distraction, especially if they just sleep, but it definitely is possible if other people are around the work area.

I didn't even think about the animals getting targeted, but you're right, Yatte. There are a lot of kooks in this world who look and act otherwise normal. You just never know.

This makes me think of an artificial aquarium I saw on the web awhile back....it looked very realistic and perhaps would serve the same purpose of lowering stress and blood pressure in the workplace. I was thinking more about the pets being able to be with their owners instead of home alone....but for purposes of reducing stress in employees, I think the artificial might work. There's a little robot dog in a car ad too that might be nice to have around, but I think that might be a little far fetched. Smile

Thanks for the posts. It's interesting to see the pros and cons of this. I wonder if they did this at Purina.
It would probably work for some office environments but definitely not for a majority. For one you can't control the people you interact with at the office, what if they are allergic to dogs or cats? What if the person allergic is a client? Perhaps the better option is to have a specific place at the office where you could leave your pet rather than them sitting beside you.
It would depend on the type of workplace. It would only work when it was a safe environment for the pet and if it was a place where members of the public are not admitted.

I think in a small business it is quite easy to allow a pet into the office, in a room the back of a store or outside in an enclosed yard. To me that would be better than leaving a pet on its own all day at home.

In a big office or large workplace there could be problems if cats and dogs were allowed and did not get on with each other. Also it would have to be with the agreement of all co-workers, as well as the management. There could be someone in the workplace with an allergy or phobia that would prevent them working in close proximity to a pet.
I have no problem with pets in the workplace. I've actually been to quite a few bookstores and even a car mechanic's that had "shop cats." I honestly was more likely to frequent such places, especially the mechanic's. I'm always stressed out when I have to get my car worked on, and having a cat to play with while waiting really helped ease my anxiety (I'd still go there, but the mechanic retired a few years ago and took his cat home). There are many nursing homes that use both cats and dogs as therapy animals, and I even saw a documentary about a prison that used cats to help rehab some of the inmates (they carefully screened which inmates).

Personally, I took my bird to work with me one day while we were getting work done on the house. It worked out okay - I had permission, and he hung out on my shoulder the entire day.
I would think it's easier to have a cat around instead of a dog. Dogs require more attention because they need to go out to do their thing. I suppose it depends on the place as well. You can take a dog to places such as car parts lots and leave them roaming around because there's a fence. Cats just need that litter box well placed and in an inconspicuous spot.
I think this is a good idea when it is your own business and it doesn't involve too many people walking in and out of the place. Otherwise this could be dangerous for your animals as well as people. Plus with cats, people can open a door that is not supposed to be open and your cat can walk out. If they are indoor cats, they have no way to defend themselves, outside. It's just be better to be covered at all times.

(07-09-2013, 11:28 AM)mscuban Wrote: [ -> ]I would think it's easier to have a cat around instead of a dog. Dogs require more attention because they need to go out to do their thing. I suppose it depends on the place as well. You can take a dog to places such as car parts lots and leave them roaming around because there's a fence. Cats just need that litter box well placed and in an inconspicuous spot.
I do not agree with having pets in a business at all. Even when it is your own business, it just does not seem like a good idea. Many people are allergic to dogs and cats, and even if the animal is not right out there in front of people, it could still be affecting the breathing of people who are allergic.
I like the idea of having my pet with me at work; and have even done that before; but I think we have to also consider other people's welfare.
When I was a traveling insurance agent, I worked out of my own truck, and often was able to take my dog along with me in the truck. The only issue I had to worry about then, was how the weather was, and whether it would be either too hot, or too cold to have my dog along with me.
I have seen places like feed stores, that will keep a cat on the premises, and I do think that this is totally acceptable. These cats are there to basically catch any mice or rats that happen to get into the feed store, so they are not able to get into the grain-based feed.
Many years ago I worked at a company that allowed dogs in the workplace. We each worked in an enclosed cubicle, so the dog was not distracted by people walking by, and unless you went into the cubicle, you were not aware the dog was there. One gentleman rescued greyhounds and he had one that he would bring in with him once a week. The dog was very quiet and would just curl up under his desk and sleep the majority of the time he was there.
I think that in a situation like yours, Evelyn, then bringing a dog along to work would probably be fine. You were each working in your own little space, and the dogs were staying right there with you, and not walking around in some kind of a store.
No one probably knew which people had their dogs along with them, when they were all just lying quietly at the feet of their owners, and there were no customers who would be wandering in where everyone was working.
As long as it is not being a problem for people who are allergic to dogs, or something similar, I think it is great to be able to take your dog along. I also worked at a place where you could bring your pet. I didn't take mine, but one lady had the tiniest Toy Schnauzer, and she slept in her little bed right beside the lady who owned her, and that little dog just loved going to work with her owner. It is dfinitely a good idea from the dog's point of view, I think.