Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: house training a young pup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When house training your new puppy remember they are babies, they can only hold themselves for so long.
If I'll ever have a puppy, I'll ask you for advices. Smile
I know it is better and easier to train any animal at a young age.
Yes, but older dogs can be trained also. That old"can't teach an old dog new tricks" is a myth. But just like with people, the young ones learn faster.
Not only the younger ones learn faster, but also the older ones have certain hard to change habits already. Smile
Depends on the energy and time the human puts into it. I once had an old boxer mix that learned a new trick just by watching me try to teach it to another dog.
Or the willingness to learn of each individual pet. Smile
Some of them might really like monkey see monkey do, but some others might not even be interested at all.
It has more to do with the training techniques, dogs want to please their humans... The person just has to know how to communicate what they expect from the dog.
(03-31-2012, 10:49 PM)bw Wrote: [ -> ]dogs want to please their humans...

I thought some dogs are like spoiled brats. They want their humans to please them. Tongue
They really do want to please us. But if they have an owner that does not know how to show the dog who is in charge, the dog WILL show the owner. Many times a dog trains the owner instead of the other way around.
(04-12-2012, 08:29 AM)bw Wrote: [ -> ]They really do want to please us. But if they have an owner that does not know how to show the dog who is in charge, the dog WILL show the owner. Many times a dog trains the owner instead of the other way around.

Just like the spoiled brats! Tongue
Either you show them, or they show you.