Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Gassy Dog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My dog has terrible gas. He is a pit bull mix that is a little over a year old. We've had him for around 6 months. He eats a lamb and rice, hypoallergenic diet. When we first got him he was losing fur around his neck and shoulders and chewed his feet constantly. After switching to this dog food all of those symptoms cleared up and his hair has finally regrown. But he still has awful, horrible gas. I know people joke about this with their dogs, but yuck! I'm hesitant to switch his food to anything to else in case it starts the itching and hair loss again. Any suggestions?
How fast does your dog eat? None of our dogs have problems with gas, but one of them does burp a lot. Both gas and burping can happen because of excess air in the body, so eating too fast might be the problem. We have two golden retrievers and a beagle. One of the retrievers is literally finished with her food before the beagle even takes a bite. (Out beagle eats unusually slow, but that's another story.) We think this is why she has the endearing habit of burping in people's faces.

If you think he might be eating too fast, try putting some large rocks in his dish. (Make sure they're big enough so he can't eat them!) He'll be forced to slow down if there's other objects in the way of his eating.

I do think it's very possible that the food is the problem, though. It's kind of like how a lot of people have problems after eating beans, you know? Try switching his diet to another hypoallergenic food. We feed our dogs a rotation of foods, and as long as we get high-quality kibble, they do fine. We have a different health problem with one of our dogs, but we've found that the more natural a food is and the less preservatives it has, the better.
Is your dog outside a lot? The reason I'm asking is he may be eating grass, which some dogs do from time to time to clear out their bowels. Or perhaps something is stressing the dog out as well giving him an upset stomach.

Be thankful it's only gas. One of my dogs had a really bad case of the runs once and went running through our house with diarrhea literally spraying out of her rear. She would get frightened any time she farted and would take off running, so this made it even worse.
Our puppy is a Boston Terrier so he is always gassy due to the structure of his snout from what I've read anyway. I don't know if there is really anything that can be done about it. We have basically just gotten used to it and know to put our shirts over our nose when he does it..haha.
My dog is having the same problem but it is not too often to be that bad but it still is so gross. Sometimes she will just have gas back to back and it smells horrible (like everyone has to leave the room or go outside) and what is funny is she is just a puppy so imagine when she is older but then some days or weeks she does not have any gas, so it comes and goes.
My American Pitbull Terrier has the worst gas. She is only around 6 years old and has the walking farts. She toots when she walks up the steps, jumps off the couch or makes any sudden moves. She doesn't toot every sudden move but most of them. I rescued her from an abandoned house so we don't know her full health history but we do know she's had at least 1 litter of puppies. Her health is great and she eats Rachel Ray just 6 food. We've tried many brands of food and nothing helps. From my experience pitbulls are gassy dogs in general.
Kteabc, I've met couple of sweet apbt here too and one is gassy too, and she's one food gulper. Her owner said her new spiral slow feeder seemed working along with yogurt as the vet suggested, probiotics helps on digestion.