Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Share Treat Recipes Here!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Check out this amazing link!

5 Dog Treat Recipes Kids Can Make

Here's an example of one:

3 cups oatmeal
1-1/4 cup of flour
2 eggs
1/4 cup oil
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup milk
2 mashed bananas
Mix all the wet ingredients together first (oil, honey, milk, and bananas), and then add the flour and oatmeal until you have a smooth batter. Put older kids in charge of measuring and younger ones in charge of mixing. Everyone can help pour the batter onto a lightly greased cookie sheet, and then bake at 325 degrees (160 degrees Celsius) for 25 minutes. Once your banana bites are cool to the touch, use a knife or pizza cutter to slice them into small, bite-sized squares. Limit quantity. They can be fattening.

Do you have any treat recipes that your puppy loves?
One of my favorites is actually a frozen treat. Combine frozen bananas, peanut butter, and bite-sized doggie treats and place into Dixie cups. Freeze these cups. They're like ice cream for your dog! They're very very good for them as well. Dogs love peanut butter, dogs love treats... what more could a little puppy ask for?
My brother & I have made some dog treats awhile back. We made about 2-4 different kinds. We had never made any home-made treats for our dogs before, so we wanted to make a variety so that they were to bound to like at least one of them! Most of the treats contained peanut butter in them. I think they ended up liking about 2 out of 4 of all the recipes we tried. Out of those 4, I have one of them that I have on me right now. If anyone is interested in trying them, I am about to list it. I will list it here, below.

First make sure to preheat your oven to 350°! & lightly flour the surface you will be working on.

Ingredients needed:
  • 2 cups all purpose flour or 100% rolled oats (or you can use wheat flour)
  • 2 (4oz) jars of baby food (any flavor but I used chicken or beef)
  • baking sheet
  • non-stick oil spray or oil/butter (for the baking sheet)
  • cookie cutters (optional)

Then you are going to...
1) First off, it's okay to add a bit of water/flour if you need to. Anyways, you're going to mix everything nicely together to form a ball of dough!

2) Remember how I said to have the surface you're working on lightly floured? Where this is where you're going to need it. Roll out your dough to about a 1/4 of an inch thick. If you 're the cookie cutter type, Tongue use whatever shape you want to, to make it into your desired shape. I believe we made ours into a cube shape!

3) Next, place your treats on your baking sheet (use nonstick oil spray/butter or parchment paper) about 1/2 inch apart.

4) Okay! Next, you play the waiting game! You're going to bake these puppies (not literally,silly Wink ) for 20-25 minutes depending on your oven.

Your last step is to allow the yummy treats to cool. I like to stick whatever I just baked, & brought out the oven, into the freezer or refrigerator, only because I'm impatient! But if you want to play the waiting game for a bit longer, go ahead & when they're all the way cooled, treat your furry baby to one & see how he/she likes 'em!

If they liked it, next time try adding other ingredients like peanut butter, blueberries, strawberries,etc;
Thanks for the awesome recipes everyone! I've considered making natural treats using the spent grain and by products from a friends brewery. DogFish Head brewery makes their own pet treats and that is where I got the idea. It reduces waste and is actually really healthy for your dog. The only problem is that the brewery is 8 hours away from me, we haven't figured out how to ship it properly.