Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Is it possible to domesticate your guinea pig?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello. The title might seem a bit confusing, but what I really mean is if it is possible to make them come when you call their name, and more importantly, make them not be afraid of you. Whenever I want to pick him in order to give him affection or simply take him outside the cage, he immediatly hides inside his pigloo. I have to remove all the cage protections and items in order to pick him, and I have to be quick. After I get him, he calms down and seems happy after a while, but it's a pain to pick him from the cage. I end up not doing that so often because it's really alot of work to remove all that stuff that covers him.
I'm not sure, my guinea pig didn't come when I called his name, but he wasn't afraid of being picked up either. It might have just been a unique case, but mine would just sit there waiting for me to hold him. He liked to try and play too, I had a ball he would try and roll around with. Since it sounds like he likes it once you have him maybe it will just take time? Try holding a nice treat, or some food for him so he can start coming to you.