Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Herbie the Cat: Killed 2-1/2 Hours from Being Saved
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Herbie the Cat
Brevard County, Fl

Herbie- 2-1/2 Hrs from being saved
Euthanized despite having a new home
#Herbiethecat
http://melfla.com/Herbie.html[Image: Herbie4.png]
This is upsetting and wrong. Thank you for sharing. The "no kill shelter needs to mean just that".
Susan,
Thank you. Unfortunately there is a political push to cover up the mis-management of Brevard County Animal Services facilities. It looks like the local paper {Florida Today} has joined in that effort printing two fluff stories in two days. The paper did not approach any one with community rescue groups who are the main stay in saving animals, or volunteers who see these abuses first hand. Instead both articles praised BASE management to the point you could tell someone was politically connected. But we will keep fighting to save animals. Herbie is gone and I grieve everything I look into his green eyes. He could so easily been saved.
The official line from Brevard Animal Services BASE} is Herbie could not be adopted because he was a 'rescue' cat. What's the difference? Saving a life is saving a life. Herbie could have been put on hold long enough so it could be determined how to find out more about my adopting him. If theyw ant to save animals they will do whatever is necessary to do so. I contacted the Rescue coordinator as did a friend who received a return e-mail confirming my interest. This is a common line given by BASE because they do not have a SOP covering these events. This type thing has happened time and again. Community rescue groups have tried to get BASE to set a procedure that would eliminate these type of needless deaths. It is a part of the mismanagement of the shelters and the indifference too many staff and employees demonstrate toward sheltered animals.