Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Unfriendly with the new pup
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a shi tzu named Chase. He's about 6 and is usually very playful. Recently, we got a new puppy who was full of energy and would jump up to Chase. Chase just walks away and isn't hyper anymore. Is this because he's jealous of the new puppy we brought home? What can be done to make them become friendly with each other? Thanks
I am not an expert on this but I think the two dogs are working out their roles. Your older dog may be a bit overwhelmed with this new puppy and is trying to figure out what to do about it.

When we got Misha, my sister brought her dog over. Her dog and my previous dog got along well. They didn't really play together as my dog was 6-7 years older and hadn't played much since she turned 5, but they got along well.

When her dog was introduced to my puppy, her dog decided the puppy did not exist. For the first 6 months, whenever in her presence she sat and stared at the wall. She would not make eye contact even though Misha would often be jumping around her. Eventually, she learned to tolerate her and now they get along fine. They ignore each other for the most part. Neither was big on playing with other dogs to begin with.

As long as there isn't any aggression, I would just be patient with the older dog. If you are worried that the older might do something to the puppy, then I would put them both on leash when around each other. This way a situation can be handled quickly.

I think this has less to do with jealousy and more to do with the upset in the pack order in your household. Unless you see outward signs that bad behavior might be developing in the older one, I would give him to time to accept his new roommate. Unless a dog has been around puppies, adding one to the household can be a bit overwhelming. They have all that energy.