Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Ever put your kitty in time out?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sometimes when my cat Oscar is feeling particularly excited and bitey and will not chill out, especially around my sister (she's pregnant) I will put him in timeout. I don't know if it works well in the long run but I have had success with it, I will set a timer for 3 minutes or so and put a clothes' basket over him, like he is in kitty jail. I don't keep him in jail for longer than 3 minutes and when I release him "on parole" he is back to his best behavior Smile.
That is cute, while I used to have a daycare and used time out I never would have thought to use it on a pet, and I'm surprised it has worked, but I believe cats are smarter than people give them credit for.

When my cats are acting out, I get out the cat toys. They usually respond well to that and after 5 minutes are too tired to cause trouble.

Next time your little one is in "jail", I'd love to see a picture of it.
I used to put my cats in "kitty jail" as a kid, but I my Mother would yell at me when she caught me, so I stopped doing it, haha. My cats are generally very well behaved; they're old so they're pretty chill the vast majority of the time. Sometimes the old man will walk around the house, yowling at the top of his lungs, but I usually just throw something at the door and he stops.

My step-mothers cat is a stinker, and he's always acting up! I usually just loudly say "NO" or "STOP THAT" when I want him to cut it out, and after saying it once or twice, he usually does.