Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Floating Island in the aquarium
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
This guy called Gary Wu was able to create a floating island in his aquarium based on the idea he got from a cartoon movie called Laputa.
It is something I have never seen before in AquaScaping. It is simply amazing.

[Image: 1_plantedtank_islandscape.jpg]

[Image: 2.jpg]

Quote:The floating island is cover with a thin layer of substrate and small rocks with moss insert between them. Staurogyne sp. are planted on the thin layer of substrate. A visual illusion is used to mount a grid on the back glass so as the plant grows out, the whole grid is masked by the plant.
Plant species used are Vesicularia sp., Flame Moss and Staurogyne sp. in the background, Blyxa echinosperma and Eleocharis parvula sp. on the midground, and Eleocharis parvula sp. and Staurogyne sp. on foreground.
Fish living here are Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi, Crossocheilus siamensis, Otocinclus affinis and invertebrates are Amano Shrimp, Chilton sp. Burnble and Blue Shrimp.

Tank dimensions: 152 x 51 x 58 cm.
Lighting: 12 x 18W T8.
Filtration system: 2 x Tetra EX120 and 1 x Eheim 2080.
Co2: 6 bubbles non stop.
Substrate: Seachem Fluorite.
Fertilization: ADA step 3, Green gain, ECA, Bright K, Shade. Seachem: Iron, Excel and some gardening root fertilizer.
I assume this is something attached to the rear of the tank, and not actually neutrally buoyant? Neutral buoyancy is a pain to achieve, as everything affects it. This still looks great, and I'm considering doing it for my aquarium, but it's not true 'floating'. Great pictures!
I don't know for sure, but I doubt it is true floating. It is for the virtual. Yes, it looks extremely cool. What a creative way to model a planted aquarium.