Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Dog walking with a drone? Yes, it is true !
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I thought I had seen everything when I watched this video tonite ! But I guess that with all the technology advances, this might have been unavoidable. This video shows a golden retriever going for a walk around the block (nothing unusual there), but there is not person on the other end of his leash. The owner attached the leash to a radio controlled drone, and you can see it guiding the dog as he goes for his walk around the block.
Amazingly, the dog does not seem to mind this at all, and happily trots along the route, even though there is no human along with him. You would think that he would be concerned about having his leash connected to something that he probably can't even see in the air above him; but he just goes along like it was perfectly normal.
So, do you think this might be the future of dog walking , or not ??

http://www.mnn.com/family/pets/videos/no...ng-the-dog
I always feel, there is nothing technology cannot replace these days. Dog walking by a drone? I feel that is a ridiculous thing. For me dog walking is a part of training the dog. Me or my family walks with my family most of the times. It is like a time where a dog and his human friend goes out to hang out. I rarely use even the professional dog walking services for I fear that dog might not like it. Handing him to a robot will be worse. He is our faithful companion. He deserves our company. Using a drone to walk him is like we are not bothered to take care of him our own. Walking with the dog is also a good exercise. Then why interfere a technology in it? If you are out of town, use some professional dog walking services. At least he will get some human company, though it won’t be same for him as walking with you or your family.
While that does seem appealing to those that work and balance a family and everything else, I'd prefer to walk my dog myself. I'm sure the drone would come in handy on occasions and would benefit my dogs as they would always get their exercise even if I'm home super late and just can't physically do it. But how responsible can you hold a drone? When I walk my dog I get to know her more and more each day. I know what peaks her interest and her habits. It's very helpful to know those things so well when I suspect she isn't feeling well or something may be wrong.
I am kind of skeptical at the moment. I can't imagine some helicopter drone would be heavy enough to control some dog breeds. I have a 250 pound mastiff. I highly doubt some helicopter can handle my dog. What happen if my dog runs away? I actually enjoy the bonding experience of walking my dog.