Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: How Do You Get To Name Your Dog?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: BvF5GSCCcAAeFmh.jpg:small]

Did you ever had that trouble of calling your dog’s name and somebody come to you instead? Sound names for pets particularly dogs may need a few thoughts to create a better bonding and endearment when you call them. You surely wouldn’t like a name that goes or can create troubles later on. Finding a name for your dog sometimes create funny experiences and sometimes troubles. Bear in mind that what you will call your pet dogs may affect and reflect other beings, particularly other people. There are many instances that calling a pet’s name resulted in confusion and disagreement. Like many dog owner’s call their name ‘Sweetie’ and the husband or wife or someone you love come along to answer the call. Or probably you named your dog ‘Bruno’ and your neighbor’s name was Bruno. This could create some confusion and in some extent misconceptions with others.
That is why many dog owners got into some detailed thoughts just to be able to find a name for their beloved dogs. Below are some tips on how you can choose and get to name your pets, particularly dogs. Below are suggestive ways on how you can find ideas in naming your pet dogs:

Do a little research. It is worthy to do a bit of research about the name of your pet dog since your canine friend who will be your loyal companion deserves a truly fantastic one.

Dog traits. This is one of the most popularly chosen way to name most pet dogs. ‘Brownie’ is a very popular one. ‘Ashy’, ‘Blue Eyes’ and ‘Shorty’ are all familiar dog names that have seldom human counterpart names.

Spark out names from events and happenings. Try to name from events or happenings so as not to create name confusion with people. Like for example, if you got to name the dog during Pioneer Day, you might want a name that sounds like those people who have influenced the celebration of Pioneer Day. Names like ‘Briggy’ from the name of Brigham Young, one of the pioneers that led to the celebration of the Pioneer Day celebration. ‘Fourth’ from the 4th of July celebration.

Dog traits and attributes. Names like ‘Curly’, ‘Wooly’ and ‘Shaky’ are names based on their unique physical characteristics. Curly of course if the dog has curly hair, ‘Wooly’ if it has wool-like curly hair and ‘Shaky’ if the dog walks like as if he is shaking or something to that effect.

Human names. If you really got to name your pet to a person or another human being or probably other pets with similar name, be cordial about it. In some cases, people name their pets in loving memory for their dearly departed ones be it people or other pets who have died. Requesting permission is a great move to show respect and later will not be an issue of misuse or disrespect. Never call them with counterpart human names if it will impair nor malign other creatures and people. Sometimes it is best that you choose a name unique only to your pets.

Activity Names. As much as possible, pet dogs must not be named after an activity. Names like ‘Fetch’, ‘Chit’ and ‘Kit’ are sample names that could confuse command for your pet dogs. ‘Fetch’ is a popular command for dogs to get something. ‘Chit’ and ‘Kit’ sounds like the command to sit. So be careful not to make names that will confuse them later on and will also result difficulty while training your pet dogs.

Public Names. Always bear in mind that the name you will call your dog will be attributed as a command or will caught his/her attention especially in public places where too many distractions will take place.

Practice name call on public places. Try to practice calling your dog’s name in public on several occasions. This will definitely test their hearing range ability, obedience and loyalty as a whole.

The shorter, the better. Dogs’ names must be ideally shorter for easy recall, especially for kids and elders.

The perfect name for your dogs must be some name which could make your pet dog enhance their keen abilities and will add up to the loyalty trait of these lovable gentle creatures. Names that could spark negativity, abuse, misuse and disagreement must definitely be avoided. Name and treat your pet dogs as if they are from your own family. For they deserve it as much as they deserve all the love and care in the world.

More about this article here > http://www.paraspets.com/paras-pets-blog...e-your-dog#
Sometimes it seems like the names for my pets almost choose themselves, and other times, it takes me a while before the name I like comes to mind.
When Chipper was a puppy, he was so tiny, and he reminded me of a little chipmunk wandering around on the floor. So, I named him "Chipmunk", and of course, it was not long before that got shortened down to "Chipper", and that is what he has been called for all of his life since then. The fact that he is also a chipper little dog, makes the name fit even better.

I had a little Poodle, his coloring was predominantly a grayish color, but with dark charcoal shades mixed in on his ears, and the tops of his ears were kind of highlighted with an apricot color. He was unusually beautiful to look at, and the mix of colors reminded me of the embers and ashes of a campfire burning out. So, I named him Ashley.
It suited him perfectly.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3jNLAF...colors.jpg
I had the hardest time naming by dogs! They went a couple of weeks without names. I would ponder up some name but it just never seem to fit. I thought to myself, oh my what am I ever going to name my children if I can't choose a name for my animals!

Of course I eventually came up with names that meant something and eventually were very fitting to them! Coming up with names is difficult though, unless you're the type of person that already has your animals and kids named! I am, however, not like that! I find it so interesting to hear what other people come up with! There are some unique ones out there, that's for sure!
When my grandson saw the dog he and his Mom got for the first time, he just called him Kipper. His dog is a rat terrier mix and the name came from a show he watches on Sprout TV that has a little dog in it named Kipper. When he saw the little dog his Mom had gotten it just reminded him of the little tv dog, so Kipper it is.
(08-17-2014, 08:26 AM)Happyflowerlady Wrote: [ -> ]Sometimes it seems like the names for my pets almost choose themselves, and other times, it takes me a while before the name I like comes to mind.
When Chipper was a puppy, he was so tiny, and he reminded me of a little chipmunk wandering around on the floor. So, I named him "Chipmunk", and of course, it was not long before that got shortened down to "Chipper", and that is what he has been called for all of his life since then. The fact that he is also a chipper little dog, makes the name fit even better.

I had a little Poodle, his coloring was predominantly a grayish color, but with dark charcoal shades mixed in on his ears, and the tops of his ears were kind of highlighted with an apricot color. He was unusually beautiful to look at, and the mix of colors reminded me of the embers and ashes of a campfire burning out. So, I named him Ashley.
It suited him perfectly.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-3jNLAF...colors.jpg
Chipper and Ashley are great names. Though 'Ashley' is not that unique and is a familiar human name. But looking at that adorable puppy of yours, I woudn't get offended at all if my name sounds like your doggy's name I will instead feel honored and delighted I have a cute puppy counterpart. HeartClap

(08-17-2014, 02:07 PM)Francy Wrote: [ -> ]I had the hardest time naming by dogs! They went a couple of weeks without names. I would ponder up some name but it just never seem to fit. I thought to myself, oh my what am I ever going to name my children if I can't choose a name for my animals!

Of course I eventually came up with names that meant something and eventually were very fitting to them! Coming up with names is difficult though, unless you're the type of person that already has your animals and kids named! I am, however, not like that! I find it so interesting to hear what other people come up with! There are some unique ones out there, that's for sure!
I definitely agree!Thumbsup

(08-18-2014, 12:05 AM)evelynmcgregor Wrote: [ -> ]When my grandson saw the dog he and his Mom got for the first time, he just called him Kipper. His dog is a rat terrier mix and the name came from a show he watches on Sprout TV that has a little dog in it named Kipper. When he saw the little dog his Mom had gotten it just reminded him of the little tv dog, so Kipper it is.
I'm sure your grandson feels elated having named the dog as per his whims. For sure they will get along well with each other. Wink
Well, when I gave my cats names, I made sure that they ended with the "-ee" sound. I read somewhere that cats respond more to their owners and had an easier time remembering their names when they end with this sound. So, they are named Sookie, Chi, and Pochi. On the other hand, when it comes to dogs, I give the name that just pops in my head that doesn't sound too tacky. I named our labrador retriever Bruce because I love Bruce Wayne. The poodle is named Sid because the name sounds cute, and he is as energetic as Sid the Sloth in the Ice Age movies. Likewise, our pitbull is named Sheena/Xena because she is named after Xena the Warrior Princess. I don't choose names that are too common. I don't want my pets to have the same names as other animals/pets.
(09-24-2014, 08:35 AM)helaofthenorns Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want my pets to have the same names as other animals/pets.
Brilliant! At least you won't be having that dilemma of calling your pet's name and another pet or someone else come instead. I really would feel awkward explaining it was my dog I am calling and not them... WinkHide