Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Would you be offended if your cat ate your corpse?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So my friend who's a vet told me once that it's not uncommon for cats to go ahead and unceremoniously eat their owners if they die and no one finds out for a few days. While she had worked at an animal shelter, she mentioned that when certain new cats were brought in, it would be mentioned if it was because the owner died and...well, you know, and it had happened a few times.

I've heard this a few times now, and comparisons to dogs often follow, since apparently dogs are reluctant to eat their owners even if they've run out of other food options and are starving.

My mom is upset at the thought of my cat eating my corpse, theoretically, of course. She says it means he doesn't love me. It really doesn't bother me, though. I feel like once I'm dead, my body is just a piece of meat. I wouldn't want my cat to starve to death just because I happened to become deceased. I'd give him kudos for being intelligent enough to figure out what to do.

What are your thoughts, fellow cat owners? And I apologize if this was a morbid subject. I'll try to think of a more positive thread to balance it out!