Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: The Fishing Cat...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cats are amazing learners when they want to be, and can astound you sometimes with their reasoning abilities.
When I lived in Missouri, we were out in the country, and right behind the house was a pond with fish in it. There were catfish, lots of bluegills, and 2 enormous carp.
Usually, I could catch the bluegills about as fast as I could throw the bait in.
There was a little fishing dock, and I fished from there. We had a stray cat appear that looked like he was a Himalayan (look like a Siamese/Persian), and that cat loved to eat the bluegills when I caught them. He would watch me reeling them in , and he soon learned that when the fish came splashing in, then he was going to have it to eat.
Next, he learned that when the bobber bobbed, that this meant that a fish was biting; so that cat would sit beside me on the dock, and watch the bobber, just like I did.
When he saw it bobbing, his tail would start twitching, and when I was reeling it in, he went right to the end of the dock to watch it . I had to be very careful when I landed to fish, because he wanted to jump up and grab the fish as soon as it hit the dock, and I didn't want him to accidentally get snagged with the hook.
He was a good fishing partner, and we enjoyed many afternoons catching bluegills for him and our other cat, who had no interest at all in fishing, but she like to eat the fish.