Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Are captivity breed reptiles more sociable and friendly to humans?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Most captivity breed animals become less aggressive and more friendly to the humans. As generations passed by, they become less and less wild like.

Are the captivity breed snakes and lizards also showing the same traits?

Absolutely. First, any captive born animals see humans from day one, and can get past the "human as predator" mode quickly. And then, the snakes that tend to be friendlier, for whatever reason, tend to be liked, and bred more, so whatever genetics are in that snake that lead to that tendancy are passed on. This could be a trait that would be detrimental in the wild. That said, there are certain species that are fairly tame right out of the wild. I had a wild caught suriname red tailed boa, Boa constrictor constrictor, for years that was baby tame from the time I got him, which was less than two months from time of import. And I have seen many that are like that. There are also animals that are the complete opposite, northern emerald tree boas, corallus caninus, can be absolute hell on earth as imports, and as the latin name implies, have the scariest teeth I have ever seen on a snake.
Nice to know. Thanks for the information.

For certain pets, people want F1 for a certain trait.
Is there any special trait you look for in F1 reptiles?
I suppose that would vary, per the person, and the species. And the terms F1, F2, etc... can be used differently with certain reptile breeders sometimes. Instead of just representing a line being captive bred, they could represent a new line of captive bred animals, from two parents that are captive bred themselves, maybe F6, or F16. But they would represent a new selectively bred line, or a new genetic mutation. The main reason someone would be looking into a F1, is for fresh blood in a gene pool. Most people are simply looking for the nicest animal, be it of whatever generation.