Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Fishless cycling with pro janitorial quality smelling salts
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
(11-09-2018, 02:05 AM)Thor Wrote: [ -> ]You should wait until both ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm.  Nitrite is even more toxic to fish than ammonia.  

I would just wait for a few more days even after the two readings are both 0ppm to make sure the biofiltration is sufficient enough.  And then, do not forget to do a partial water change first.   And acclimate your fish when you introduce them to their new home. Smile
Hi, I have been endeavoring to fishless cycle my 10 gallon tank. I have the water set to 82 degrees, pro janitorial quality smelling salts and my channel going. I additionally bought an ace test pack. I began on January fifth (24 days prior). I am including 4 drops of alkali daily simultaneously. My testing shows that my smelling salts is exceptionally high I despite everything presently can't seem to perceive any nitrites whatsoever. I just re-read the guide and I figure my issue might be that I have included more than 4 ppm smelling salts. Any contemplations or exhortation? I connected pics of my tank, smelling salts container and test outcomes.
Hi Cooper,
Welcome to the forum. Welcome

What is the reading of your ammonia?   There is a possibility that the ammonia is way too high for the bacteria to grow.  Ammonia is toxic.    While the bacteria you try to grow will feed on ammonia, there is a limit to how much they can handle.    

Please show the result of your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

By the way, I am unfamiliar with the product you mentioned.  What's on the bottle?  Is it pure ammonia?   If it has other ingredients it might interfere with the fishless cycling.

I also do not see your photos.   Please post them again if you can.   Use the format in the sticky.