Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Is Pet insurance worth it?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read it somewhere recently that 10% pet owners in the U.S. have bought pet insurance and the number is increasing. The number had surprised me.

Do you have pet insurance? Do you think it is necessary and worth it?

I would really think it is dependent on the actual animal. If you keep some of the breeds of dogs or cats that tend to have health problems, allot of the types of bulldogs for example, I would think it to be a good idea. I guess it really depends on the cost of the insurance and what is actually covered/copays. It couldn't hurt, I see some things on TV or the net, And wonder if I would be able to afford some of the surgeries/procedures I've seen on some animals.

I am actually looking into insuring all of my animals. It will partly be mortality insurance, and partly medical, as it is in the best interest of the company to provide easy medical care. There are a limited number of legitimate places to acquire this though. I will probably get something figured out in the next year.
Petco offers pet insurance. I have never shopped from them because there isn't one around here in my area, but they definitely look legit enough as one of the largest chain stores around.

Their insurance page.
http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_petinsurance.aspx

Not that I am really interested in it for my fish, even the thought of insurance for my fish did come up once. Wink
Have to agree with Fishbone in that it depends on the type of animal and breed. Sometimes insurance doesn't come up in conversation because not that many people even know about it. Know that Petco offers it and I think that Petsmart's in-house vet care Banefield might have it as well.

By keeping your animals healthy and eating right can go a long way in actually needing to get those uber-expensive treatments and surgeries.
I think the petsmart/banesfield version is only available if you take the animal into banesfield. I am rather skeptical of them. Simply from what I know of petsmart. I think it is a good idea none the less. I would just be careful what company you choose.
Wasnt there going to make pet insurance compulsary to dog owners? i say they should just to cover our own backs ( dog owners ) just incase someone happens.
Does this cover if the pet bites someone? because I saw a news report recently that said if you're not insured, awards for pet injuries can be as high as $500,000. They showed a video of some kid who got bit in the face by a dog and had to go through a series of surgeries to fix his face.
It depends how vulnerable the animal is to injuries and diseases. Outdoor animals probably should be insured because they are at more of a risk of being injured (cars, animals, etc). Some species of rabbits also have a very sensitive digestive system and can't eat a large amount of pellets or veggies or they could get blockage. We personally don't cover any of our pets because they are all strictly indoor (besides the dog and rabbit).
I would have to say that it is worth it. Caring for your pet and making sure they are up to date on their shots and anything else that may be needed can be very expensive. With insurance I have notice that I have saved tons on both of my dogs. Petsmart insurance plan I have found to be the best ,so if you don’t have any insurance for your pets you might want to get some.
We have pet insurance for ours. It's definitely worth it. One of ours in particular, had to undergo an MRI, spinal tap, and a lot of other neurological testing. It amounted to £3500 in total (approx). We would never have been able to afford to put him through those tests otherwise.

Since he needed meds for one of his conditions, and the fact that he was born with congenital brain damage, I'd say if it weren't for the insurance, his life would have been worse off. We're probably the posterchild for pet insurance, really.
I have Trupanion pet insurance for my two year old Bengal. She is healthy, but you never know when something can happen. I initially thought that it was overpriced, but when you look at what vets are charging now for services, I am not surprised at the cost of insurance. I don't even bother with insurance for my older cat, because all of her health issues would have been pre-existing when I first considered pet insurance. Pet insurance is just like any insurance. You only break even if something major happens to your pet.
If you are a good owner then I think pet insurance is a waste of money.

You're better off creating an emergency savings account for your pet and also know how to properly take care of your animal (I.E. get proper food, know when to feed him or her, take care of his or her body, etc.).

Other than that, pet insurance, unless it's a $1 per month, is a complete waste.
I am curious.
For you people who have pet insurance, how much are you paying to the insurance companies?
What is the normal yearly expenses for your pets' medical bills? How much did the insurance cover?
I think it really depends on what the medical costs are where you live (just like with human insurance). I personally don't have any insurance, my regular vet costs (vaccinations etc.) aren't expensive and I have started an emergency fond in case something happens (it's small now, but in a few years it should cover about anything). But if I lived in a country where medical costs are very expensive and/or had a pure breed pet that is more prone to some illnesses, I would definitively invest in some insurance. It seems to me that just one serious treatment would cover a lifetime of insurance payment in some places.
There are three main reasons for people to have pet insurance. The first would be for older dogs because even the best dog is going to develop some health problems as they age. So you want to minimize the cost as your veterinarian and medical bills by having insurance that takes care of it.

The second would be specifically for certain breeds that are known for being very problematic genetically. There are many dogs that have known diseases because of how interbred some of there ancestors were before we knew about genetics. Then there are also horses that are being breed to be so fast that their ankles and legs break because they are so thin to support their weight at that speed. Some cats develop breathing problems as they age because of how flat faced they are. So there are some realities that must me faced if you want to buy or adopt a certain breeds.

The third is probably more practical but for work animals. My grandfather had insurance for his dogs because they were work animals. He had cattle that sometimes needed herding and if they get aggressive or scared can accidentally step on your dog. There are also instances where wild animals like cougars and coyotes can attack your dog while protecting you or your animals and you want to ensure they get the best medical help when the time comes. Then you can also consider other work dogs like the ones that work with police officers, firefighters, and military. These dogs are trained to go into dangerous situations for our sakes and need this kind of protection.

So I think there is a good reason to have insurance if your pet falls into one of these categories. I typically don't have insurance for my pets until they get older because they don't need it and it's cheaper to just pay for the vet's bill instead of a monthly insurance. My pets usually fall into the first category but I don't think it's weird for people who can afford it to have it for their pets. It's only gets weird when the owners don't even have insurance for their kids but have it for the dog that I find it strange.
There is no pet insurance in our country but if there is, I would surely buy the most expensive insurance package for our 3 dogs. I am willing to spend so much for my dogs. In fact, at the first sign of a symptom, I would immediately summon the vet who makes house calls and if he couldn't then I would bring my "sick" dog to the other vet in the hospital. Maybe that's the effect on me because we have no children in the house so I treat our dogs as my own children.

Speaking of insurance, it's quite ironic because I have health insurance and life insurance but my husband has neither.