Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Can your pets open the fridge?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can your pets open the fridge on their own?

[Image: tumblr_lvqwkoBjDs1r2zs3eo1_500.jpg]

This pair of dog and cat are able to do it. At least from the look of it.
Bags os cat food that I leave in range are fair game, but they never figured out the fridge or the cupboards, thank goodness. However, years ago I was discussing cats with an aquaintance and he told me abou the Siamese he grew up with. When the family was out of the house the cat would raid the fridge. The family would come home and find the fridge sitting open and yell at the cat. Ithe cat got the message, "Oh. You don't want me leaving the door open." So the cat learned to open the door, take what it wanted, and close the door again. At that point, the family gave up and let the cat have whatever it wanted.
It is only fair that they close the fridge after they get what they want. No mess is allowed either. Smile
Unfortunately my cat's only allowed in one room in the house. That's pretty much her and my dad's room. She goes outside a lot, though. I'm glad she can't open a fridge! Defrosted food is no fun.

Any tasty food I try to offer to my cat she usually refuses to eat, even nice meats like chicken. She must be so used to the cat food she's given she doesn't want to try anything else.
My cat can't open the fridge, but he was able to figure out how to open the cabinet where the food was kept. I finally had to put a child lock on the door.
My dogs and cats never managed to open my fridge. Although my fridge door is quite heavy. I remember one time my mum left some food in a shut container in her handbag and she left our dogs in the car for 2-4 minutes just to pay for petrol/gas. When she returned to the car the container was open and the food was gone. Thankfully the food was healthy food and wasn't harmful to dogs.
No, but if the fridge door is open for an extended period of time, they browse around the fridge and see what's available to eat. It's adorable actually.

What one of our cats does is try to open our kitchen cabinet doors because he loves to sit inside of one. Our other one would just jump in one if it's open.

@twinsmommy wow! That's a good idea.
That photo is so funny! And the story of Karen's friend's Siamese cat being able to raid the fridge, and even learning it should close the door afterwards - HILARIOUS!!! Geez, I'm so glad none of my cats have figured out how to do this! The Tonkinese does open the cupboard doors though. I don't keep food on the floor level cupboards though! He'll go in with the pots & pans sometimes. He often slams them open & closed when he's upset with me. He's a bugger!
My cats haven't learned how to open the fridge door, luckily Big Grin (or if they have, they also know to close it afterwards and not leave a mess). But when I open it, my younger cat runs from wherever he is to stand himself on his back legs and peek inside. Smile I think that if I left the door open long enough, he would try to jump in! Big Grin I have one of those fridges where the smaller, bottom part is a freezer and the bigger top part is the fridge, so even though they can reach it, I think that it would be hard for them to open it.
No, thank goodness! We have only one who is curious and she's bad enough when one of us opens a door....she HAS to go in and check things out. That includes the refrigerator, even though there is no where for her to go and nothing in there for her to eat. She CAN open the cabinet door under -the kitchen sink....all it takes is one little claw to get in-between the pieces of wood. So...I've put a child (and cat!) safety latch on there!!