Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: New Beardie's heat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I have a new juvenile beardie and can't seem to get his heat high enough.

He's in a 20 long for now with a UV light and a 75 w Basking spot light about 8" above him. Temp checks with probe and infared temp gun both confirm 89 degrees.

I hate to keep piling on lights as I have to move his screen top to feed him take him out for baths etc. but know that a I need to get the heat up.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!
(03-10-2015, 12:59 PM)Modoc Wrote: [ -> ]Hi,

I have a new juvenile beardie and can't seem to get his heat high enough.

He's in a 20 long for now with a UV light and a 75 w Basking spot light about 8" above him. Temp checks with probe and infared temp gun both confirm 89 degrees.

I hate to keep piling on lights as I have to move his screen top to feed him take him out for baths etc. but know that a I need to get the heat up.

Any ideas would be really appreciated!

I have never heard of a bearded heat before. You spiked my curiosity. I posted a picture, as a reference, in case others do not know either. While searching for an image, I found an informative article laying out step-by-step directions. Concerning your question about lighting, they suggested the need for two different types of lights: anUVA/UVB long fluorescent tube light and a basking bulb/light. The first mimics natural light and the second is for the heat. Are you using both types of lighting?

I like how they have this cage set up right next to a window!

[Image: 0318091814.jpg]
My juvenile has been thriving and growing at 85-90 degrees daytime and 70-80 degrees nighttime. I use a dual lamp with a daylight in one and red light in the other. He's pretty happy and healthy. Check with your local pet shop and the associates should be able to help you.