Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Full list of talking birds?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Everyone knows parrots can learn to speak human languages. There are many other species of birds can do the same thing, but they are less well known for their talking skills. Until recently, I didn't know parakeet can be taught to talk too. I have had them for years, none of them demonstrated this ability.

Does anyone know what other species of birds are also capable of learning to talk?

Updates:
Hill Myna
Yellow-Naped Amazon
African Grey
Quaker Parrot
Budgereigar
Monk Parakeet
Blue-Fronted Amazon
Indian Ringneck
Eclectus
Yellow-Crowned Amazon
Double Yellow Head Amazon
One I can add is "Indian Myna"..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_Myna
they have very sweet voice and can imitate human words. And I have heard that they do not need a cage once they are grown up at home. They will pick their own food from outside and will come to your house at evening!
Crows, magpies, mockingbirds, and starlings can also mimic human speech. You just don't hear them talking very often, since it's illegal to keep them as pets (in the US at least. I'm not sure about other countries). Therefore, they aren't exposed to humans enough to pick up their speech, or for us to hear them. However, those that live in zoos or nature centers have been known to talk.

I've been trying to teach the crow at the nature center where I volunteer to say "nevermore." (Her name is Eddie after Edgar Allen Poe. They thought she was male when they first adopted her). I haven't had much luck yet, though. She just laughs at me.
In my opinion the best talking bird is an African Grey Parrot. They will mimic someone's voice and sound exactly like them. There is no need to teach them to talk as they just repeat what they hear. For that reason do not say anything that you don't want them to say as you can't unteach them. They are smarter than any dog you will ever have. They understand concepts and are great pets.
(07-05-2012, 05:10 AM)jojocoach Wrote: [ -> ]In my opinion the best talking bird is an African Grey Parrot. They will mimic someone's voice and sound exactly like them. There is no need to teach them to talk as they just repeat what they hear. For that reason do not say anything that you don't want them to say as you can't unteach them. They are smarter than any dog you will ever have. They understand concepts and are great pets.

I have heard several African Grey talking from Youtube videos. They still have the unique birdie voice.

Where have you seen them be able to talk in someone else's voice?
I know that my neighbor as a magpie I think and I can hear it talking all the time through the wall. It commonly repeats things that I say in my own house.
While it is not the prettiest, I have to add Hill Myna to the list. Every single one of the Hill Myna I have encountered was able to talk. These amazing birds not only be able to learn human speeches, but they can also copy your voices! I have seen one Hill Myna could talk in both guy's voice and girl's voice. The funny thing was the owner never trained his pet. He learned everything himself by copying what he had heard. That particular girl's voice must be copied off someone who was making a phone call. It was "Hello? Dad?" in a very girly voice lol.
I talked to a lady one time who had parrots as pets , and also had cats. She said one of the parrot's favorite tricks was to wait until the cats were both upstairs, and then she would imitate the sound of the electric can opener, while calling "kitty, kitty, kitty" in the lady's voice. She said that every time, the cats would come rushing down the stairs and into the kitchen, looking for some fresh cat food.
I am sure that the parrot thought that this was hugely entertaining, and was probably chuckling to herself as the cats searched frantically for their dinner ! !