Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Do you watch dog shows?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm really passionate about talking, reading and watching anything dog-related.

[Image: iloilo-kennel-club-dog-show-breed-exhibi...ndlers.jpg]
Source

This weekend, I went to see a dog show in one of our local malls. There were different breeds to enjoy such as Pugs, Pomeranians, American Cocker Spaniels, Beagles, Chihuahuas, Dobermans, German shepherds and Shih Tzus.

Do you watch dog shows? It's not like agility shows so it isn't as interesting but it's fun to see a lot of different dog breeds under one roof.
I'm not really into dog shows. Those dogs are a bit too pretty for me. Big Grin

I do like watching the agility competitions. They aren't on TV very often, though. I am often amazed at the courses that the dogs must compete on. I can only imagine how much training goes into getting the dog to follow the correct order. It must take time to get the dog over being afraid of the different apparatus, too.

Have you ever done agility training with a dog, Haopee? My Jack Russell would be good at something like this if she wasn't so afraid of everything. I'm sure I could never get her to run through a tunnel. I'd probably have to go in to retrieve her.
(07-12-2012, 05:50 PM)TreeClimber Wrote: [ -> ]I'm not really into dog shows. Those dogs are a bit too pretty for me. Big Grin

I do like watching the agility competitions. They aren't on TV very often, though. I am often amazed at the courses that the dogs must compete on. I can only imagine how much training goes into getting the dog to follow the correct order. It must take time to get the dog over being afraid of the different apparatus, too.

Have you ever done agility training with a dog, Haopee? My Jack Russell would be good at something like this if she wasn't so afraid of everything. I'm sure I could never get her to run through a tunnel. I'd probably have to go in to retrieve her.

No. Unfortunately, we do not have agility contests in our place but I would love to check these out. I'm sure I would love taking pictures of these dogs in action. I'm sure my dogs would enjoy doing something like this too... especially with the treats they can get by doing it right.

Purebred dogs aren't as prominent here in our city as they are in the US so watching a dog show is like a treat.

Have you ever tried Agility Training for Reactive dogs? A friend of mine enrolled her dog in that course so as to desensitize the dog and help her recover from being anxious and fearful. You should check if your locality has one. I'm sure it will help your JRT.
I do watch the televised dog shows at times but I enjoy going much more. The agility trials are one of my favorite events and people are usually having a good time.

What did you mean the dogs are too pretty? The televised dog shows usually only show one part of the dog show, often invitation only to the major players when it comes to how they've done in the rest of the shows. They are kind of like the play off's and the Super Bowl's of the dog show community. Not every dog show you attend would be just like that and those shows mainly focus on the conformation which ultimately is supposed to be about how your dog measures up to other representatives of the breed and according to the standards and has to do with underlying breeding quality.

Jack Russell's also participate in the earth dog trials. Have you ever had an interest in doing something like that? Those are another fun thing for the dogs to participate in having to do with working ability and the natural inclination and instinct to hunt some vermin for breeds that were bred for that sort of thing. http://www.therealjackrussell.com/jrtca/jrtca.php

Hoapee, was that your first show and how did it compare to the impression you got from televised events? I found a list of shows in the Philippines if I looked up your location right. You may be able to find an agility trial or two to attend since there are some all breed shows listed. Local or nearby kennel clubs often also host specialty events (here in the US at least) so you might also see about any agility clubs or clubs for breeds that often compete in agility trials. Unless of course things are totally different there.

http://philippinedogfinder.com/category/...nd-events/
I don't watch the dog shows but I watch shows about pets and dogs.
I like Miami Animal Police and those other Animal Cops where they rescue abused and neglected animals. I also enjoy that show about the woman who runs a shelter for pitbulls and the staff are ex convicts that are trying to be rehabilitated.
Pitbulls and Parolee's is a wonderful show. I LOVE that show. She isn't kidding when she says it is the world's most misunderstood breed (or breeds actually). I don't watch many of the animal cops shows. Any city or org. that advocates and witch hunts what in truth is or should be a wonderful breed for existing as opposed to providing information and dealing with the humans and situations causing the problems does not deserve support. The breed bans make the situation worse, education would go further but instead they foster and promote misinformation and misconception and it is spilling over into many other breeds.
I personally do not, but can you tell me where I might find out more information about these events? An article or of the such? I do not know much about these event's so if someone could help me with this, I'd most appreciate it.
I have watched a couple, as well as a grooming competition show that was on for a year or two. All of them were ok, but nor really captivating.

I have been to 3 local dog shows. I entered the boys in one also. The local shows or contest are a lot more entertaining, in my opinion. The local shows are not as stuffy as the shows on television and usually have fun things going on on the sidelines.
(07-19-2012, 02:41 AM)Mudd04 Wrote: [ -> ]Hoapee, was that your first show and how did it compare to the impression you got from televised events? I found a list of shows in the Philippines if I looked up your location right. You may be able to find an agility trial or two to attend since there are some all breed shows listed. Local or nearby kennel clubs often also host specialty events (here in the US at least) so you might also see about any agility clubs or clubs for breeds that often compete in agility trials. Unless of course things are totally different there.

http://philippinedogfinder.com/category/...nd-events/

Hi Mudd. Yes, I checked them out and unfortunately, dog shows in our country is usually only for "best of breeds". In our city, specifically, dog shows only happen once in every two to three months.

I am unsure if we have agility courses here in our country but one thing's for sure, we rarely have dog shows televised.

The last one was held last June. I attended that one in particular.

I have yet to check Pitbull and Parolees but I've seen this show wherein selected inmates are given a dog to train and care for. I forgot the name but it was pretty awesome too.