Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: What are some reptile species you wish to domesticate?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
There must be tens thousands species of snakes and lizards out there. Not all of them are on the list of pets. Many species probably had never been in captivity.

What are some snake and lizard species you really wish to have but not yet available in captivity? Why? What makes them so special? Smile
Well, it depends on what you mean by "domesticated". Beyond the common species kept as pets, most species of snakes and lizards are readily available to almost anyone if you know where to look, with the exception of animals listed add CITES appendix 1, (i.e. Komodo dragon, Varanus komodoensis; tuatara, Sphenodon spp.), or animals from a country that had closed its borders on animal trade, (i.e. Australia, madagascar), and there wasn't already a breeding population outside that country. And of course, if you had the money to buy some of the rarer animals.

Other than that, almost everything is available. They all aren't breeding in captivity, as some reptile species are tricky to breed. And, typically, if you are one of a handful of people to breed something, you can pretty much name your price if there is any demand. The next big purchase I want to make is a boelens python, Morelia boeleni. There its a guy who has a clutch of eggs on the ground now. There have been a very limited number of successful begins of these in captivity, 4 or 5 I think. And they are extraordinary serpents. I will have to settle for one the farmed neonates hatched in indonesia and shipped over. And even those are quite expensive.
Have you tried to breed some hard to breed species yourself? I know some species are hard to breed in captivity, some have even never been able to breed in captivity, but everything has a first time. Big Grin You probably can even get some species to name after you if you can successfully be the first breeder. For example in fish industry, German Blue Ram isn't really from Germany, they are a South American cichlid species, but the very first successful breeding in captivity took place in Germany. Think about it. If you had successfully done it, you could name it (Your name) Blue Ram. Tongue It's quite interesting too to have such project too. I'd be all over it.
Well, I dint think I have the opportunity to be the actual first, but I'd be happy to be at the beginning of something. Smile I have a few ideas up my sleeve, but they require time and money.

And yes, in the reptile world, it is quite similar. With different subspecies, genetic morphs, etc..., ,