Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Cat Claw Nail Caps (say no to declaw)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Has anyone tried these Cat Claw Nail Caps?

It is a product to prevent cats from scratching. No more damaged furniture and pants. Big Grin It is a great alternative to declaw which I am against.

From the product reviews, most users think they are great, and easy to use. The price is quite cheap too.
My sister-in-law, who is also very much against declawing cats, has used those products in the past. I remember her complaining that they fall off too frequently, and I don't believe she uses them anymore now. We've never tried the claw caps on our two cats that are fully clawed. We try to keep their claws trimmed as much as possible, but they have destroyed a lot of furniture and decor and MY SKIN (grrrr!), regardless! I should ask our vet about the caps. Maybe they've improved since my sis-in-law used them umpteen years ago.
As I said in other posts, doing something like this is total unnecessary. We have two fully clawed cats, and we do what is the only thing that works in my opinion. We have their nails cut once a month either by a groomer or by the vet.

This only costs us a total of $20 per month for the two cats, and it saves us a lot of headache.
Wow. I have never heard of such a thing. The picture of the cat is too funny with the "manicure" look of the colored claws!
It seems like a pretty good idea. I know it says it doesn't interfere with retraction, but, I would still worry about it. It would be really neat if they lasted longer, maybe a year. My only complaint would be putting them on. I wouldn't use them on my cats, as they are indoor/outdoor, but my husband's mom's cat could definitely use them. But I think it might be too much of a fight trying to get them on her. She uses her claws at random (to "play") already and doesn't care to be held much.
[Image: kitten_mittens.gif]

Why not...kitten mittens?

But seriously though, those cat claw nail caps look like a bad idea, especially since it can also be a choking hazard for them.
I've seen them advertised and looked at a few brands the last time I was in PetSmart. My cat is pretty placid and lets me hold her on my lap, like a baby, and trip her nails. Also, she was declawed, she's nearly 17 and it was required for cats in my apartment complex, so it would only be her back claws and she does very little damage with them.

I did think they looked cute, like a manicure, but was afraid they wouldn't stay on (which seems to be a realistic worry.) I hadn't thought about a cat trying to eat them. I've noticed my cat, when grooming, sometimes curls her front paws to be bottoms up and does a biting/pulling maneuver with them. I would think the claw covers might be a target for this kind of treatment.