Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Police Officer Leaves K9 Unit in Hot Car...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
As you can imagine this did not end well and I think that he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law!!!

Quote:taff Report
CELINA — A Mercer County K-9 unit died Wednesday after his handler left him in a patrol car.
Mercer County Sheriff Jeff Grey said Deputy Chad Fortkamp left his K-9 unit, Zak, in his patrol car while he completed the reconstruction of a traffic crash at the office around 1:00 p.m.
“When at the office, the car is either left running with air conditioning on or Zak comes into the building,” said Grey. “The car was not running and it appears that Zak was overcome by the heat.”
After an autopsy, Zak, who suffered from a pre-existing heart condition, is believed to have died after being aggravated by the temperature of the car. The K-9 Unit’s Veterinarian stated that even a perfectly healthy dog may have not survived the heat.
A thorough investigation into why the dog was in the car and why the car did not have the air conditioning running will be completed, said Grey.
The results of the investigation will be released upon its completion when a decision for disciplinary action against Fortkamp will be determined.
“I am deeply disappointed and apologize to the members of the Moose Lodge, the Eagles of Celina and others who helped fund the K-9 program,” said Grey.
In 2010 the Moose Lodge donated $5,000 to the program in addition to the $1,500 from the Eagles of Celina for the purchase of Zak.
The Sheriff’s Office plans to suspend the K-9 program until further notice after losing two dogs within the last three years.
What a shame> i feel so sad. How could a policeman not know that you should not let your dog into your car? He should be prosecuted and not being allowed to be a cop again.. Shame, shame, shame
I agree Laura! He is supposed to be setting an example, arresting people who do that to pets. I don't see why he should be treated any differently than Joe Blow if Joe Blow would have shot a police dog. If Joe shoots a police dog he is treated as if he killed an officer...well this cop killed an officer...
People can make mistakes.
Unless the cop did it on purpose, I don't think he should be charged seriously even though it was cruel for any animal or anyone to die like that. He could be simply careless.

I have seen countless time people go shopping with dogs left behind in their cars and trucks. Most of them open the window a little for fresh air, but I doubt it can work very well in hot places in the summer.
I understand people can make mistakes, and perhaps his was a mistake, but I still believe that in order to teach them to NOT make mistakes they should be prosecuted...even if it only ends in a fine (that is donated) or in community service (with pets). A person in a position of authority is expected to NOT make mistakes, especially in law enforcement. What if his mistake would have led to a person dying? (it has happened) is it still "just a mistake?"
(08-07-2012, 08:39 PM)pugskjj Wrote: [ -> ]I understand people can make mistakes, and perhaps his was a mistake, but I still believe that in order to teach them to NOT make mistakes they should be prosecuted...even if it only ends in a fine (that is donated) or in community service (with pets). A person in a position of authority is expected to NOT make mistakes, especially in law enforcement. What if his mistake would have led to a person dying? (it has happened) is it still "just a mistake?"

As much as you might hate this fact, a dog is not a person in the eyes of most people. Even though animal rights and laws are getting more and more strict with people who mistreat animals, animals are still not on the same level as a human as of today. The cop can't be prosecuted as if a human suspect died in his car due to he did not turn on the air conditioning or opened the window. He probably couldn't even be fired. He might simply get a demotion, or won't get a promotion as easily in the future.