Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Would you spend on pet funeral services?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The last time a dog of mine died, we buried him in the back yard. We dug his grave and said our good byes. I know that others spend on pet burials but in our country, this isn't what normally happens. Sometimes, people will just pay the vet to get rid of the body. When ours died at the vets, we were surprised that they had told us they already placed him in a carton box. They had asked whether we were to pick him up or pay for him to be disposed of (that was a day after they told us that his prognosis was positive).

Quote:In the United States, owners have been known to host elaborate burials, shelling out for extravagant cemetery plots, private cremations, pricey caskets and even memorial "diamonds" made from pets' ashes and locks of fur.
Source

Will you spend on pet funeral services?
Probably not. We too, buried all three of our dogs in our back yard. However, I'm almost certain it's against the law to do that and we didn't really want to draw attention to it from our neighbors - one in particular who we do not get along with and would turn us in over it.

Neither of us felt comfortable with having them cremated, and I would feel bad burying them at some remote pet cemetery. Right now they are buried side by side with a small tombstone for each and some outdoor lights to keep the spot lit up at night.
Since we don't own our home, I wouldn't bury an animal in the back yard, because I'd be conscious that moving would mean leaving them there. I couldn't do that. Until we own our own home, we will continue to have any animals that pass away, cremated individually, and given back to us so that we can create our own little tribute to them. We did just that last year, when we lost one of our fuzzies. He now has his own little shrine on the wall, inside a box decorated with velvet and such, that I personally sewed around him. It's finished off with a card, with his name on it. When we move, we can take him with us.
Humph. Interesting question. The only thing I would do for my pet(s) is to cremate them and put his or her ashes into an urn. I don't even think there should be money waste on human funeral services.

Also, I don't want to even think of our pets dying right now!
No, I would never have an elaborate burial for a pet. I don't believe in the process for people, so I wouldn't go there for my dog either.

In all our dog's deaths, we have had them cremated (via the veterinarian's office). The first three were dogs we had put to sleep because they were very ill and suffering. One of them, we had the ashes returned to us. I didn't really feel a connection to the ashes. So, when my Lab died at the veterinarians. We paid a small fee to ashes were spread over a park. This was done through the veterinarian's office, too.

For my own memories, my sister gave me a little ceramic box. On the lid is a person hugging a dog. I have Sierra's dog tags in that box. That is enough for me.
I wouldn't have a funeral service, but I do have intentions on cremating my pet when she passes.

Our dogs have all been buried in the family home's yard (my brother now owns the property) but I don't think it's against the law here. I'm not sure what the law for burial is, but I know that quite a few people who live outside of town limits have graves next to their homes with family members. Some even put up small houses over them. There's something on the Internet about grave houses and Appalachian KY.