Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: How to make a cat like you?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Cats are often being suspicious of strangers.

When I visit friends' places, very often I run into cat owners. While a few cats are not afraid of strangers, most of them avoid visitors or at least keep distance.

What are some things you can do to make a cat immediately like you on your first meeting? Tongue Friendly enough to come to you and asking to be petted.
I feel that meeting a cat for the first time is much like meeting a dog. You should physically go down to their level if you can, and always let them come to you.

Another idea for meeting cats for the first time is to either have a treat in your hand or catnip. Once the cat lets you pet him/her, be gentle. Do not pick the cat up until you know him/her.

My sister picked up my roommate's cat once before letting Sheba get to know her. Sheba went crazy with growling and hissing. Needless to say, my sister put her down right away.
I agree, footballtim, you need to approach the cat on their level. And you should always be respectful.

One important thing; don't stare at the cat. Cats interpret staring as a sign of hostility. If you're looking at the cat, blink often; this will reassure him. Soon, you'll have him blinking right at you, which is a sign of acceptance!