Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Rehoming 5 year old dog
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently inherited my Grandma's longhaired dachshund-Abby. Abby has never been inside another house besides my grandmas house.(she is an inside dog) I brought her over to my house last night to see how she would do. She looked around and explored for a while and then she kept going to the door, like okay, ready to go home now. She whined a little through the night, but not to bad.

My grandma was 88 and was at home with Abby 24/7. I have a full time job and will be leaving her at home until about 7pm every day.

I feel really bad about leaving her and just want to get any tips or advice anyone may have!!

Thanks!
That poor little dog. It hurts my heart to know that she is ready to go home and doesn't understand what is going on. I am also sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I am sending you nothing but positive vibes and happy thoughts.

Sadly, we have to walk away from our animals throughout the day. Being with your grandmother for twenty four hours a day may take a bit of a toll on her. Being around another animal may be helpful, though I don't know if that's something you can consider. My best advice is to buy her lots of distracting toys and spend a good amount of time with her when you are home.
Bringing in another dog is a wonderful idea, but... you must make sure your daschund is dog-friendly. To test this, you can go to a dog park and see how your current dog reacts to other dogs.

You can also ask a friend who has a friendly dog, to bring that dog over to your house to see how the interact with each other. You'll want to set up the introduction in a safe fenced-in neutral territory, such as your back yard. Have both dogs leashed and slowly introduce them to one another. If there is any dog agression, stop the introduction at once.

If things are going well, you can drop the leashes so they can play with each other.