Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: What extinct species would you like to have as a pet?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Somewhere I have read that only 1% of the total species ever existed on this planet are still remaining. Most of them have only appeared for a certain period before become extinct. No, we are not talking about human causes, as throughout the history of this planet, human impact is insufficient. Most extincted species died out during the 3~4 major extinction events long before humanity ever existed.

I just came across this article talking about some new discovery of Mammoth fragments under the ice in Siberia may contain live cells that can be used for cloning, in other words - the resurrection of a prehistoric animal.

Source article -
Mammoth fragments from Siberia raise cloning hopes.

Although most of the cloned animals don't live to their full natural life expectation, We know eventually the cloning technology will become better. What if in the future it become a fashion to clone animals, and what if more and more extinct species are brought back to life, what extinct species would you like to have as a pet?
a dinosaur :3 im not sure which kind though...i would say t-rex, but i personally do not feel id be able to handle one...and definitely not a raptor...maybe a simple plant eating species like aladar from the dinosaurs movie?

[Image: Dinosaur800.jpg]
This is a difficult question. Most extinct species probably aren't suitable for pets. However, since we're playing with our imaginations, I was thinking of those zebra type animals that only have stripes on half their bodies. I've always liked how they look.

I had to look them up. They are called Quagga. They were known to South Africa.

The Quagga were hunted for meat. The last wild ones died off in the 1870s, I think. The last captive Quagga died in 1883 in Amsterdam.

Here is a photo if you've never seen one:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co..._photo.jpg