Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Help please! My dog is sick :(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Our Bichon mix had surgery a month ago to have a cyst removed from his thigh and he also had his teeth cleaned. He has not recovered! He is not himself--no energy, sleeping all the time, not playing, etc. We took him back to the Vet and she said he's fine according to his blood work. She did put him on an antibiotic. There's be NO CHANGE! We are so worried. Should we take him to another vet? He's just 5 so it's not old age. Any suggestions would be great!
I am just wondering why this vet would put your dog on an antibiotic she all the blood work came back fine. Was that more for your benefit or what? I would definitely take him to another vet for a second opinion. To be still having the symptoms that he's having a month after surgery doesn't sound normal. Please keep us updated on his recovery. I hope he feels better very soon.
Brook, are there any other signs of distress like diarrhea, vomiting, trouble urinating, etc.? Has he lost his appetite?

If everything seems okay in those areas and the blood work is okay, I'm wondering if he is in pain from the surgery. Dogs don't always tell us when they hurt. Could it be that the spot where the cyst was removed is bothering him and so it's making him tired and less playful? You might want to see if it's sore to the touch or if any of the surrounding area is sore. It may be that a muscle is sore since the cyst was removed and he doesn't want to move around too much. Did the veterinarian say anything about the recovery period, like he may feel sore for a few weeks? It could be he is recovering physically a little slower than expected, and needs more time.

How long is he supposed to be on the antibiotic? Usually if there is an infection, you start to see improvement within a couple of days.

Hope he feels better soon!
She put him on an antibiotic because the only thing in his blood work was his pancreatic enzymes were very slightly elevated. ?? He's eating but not as much as usual.

I can touch and rub the spot where he had his incision and he shows no distress. He honestly seems depressed! It's breaking my heart. We're talking him back in on Monday. If he's not improved we'll choose another vet.
When my Lab's tumor ruptured on her leg, the Vet was very concerned that she would get depressed before we made up our mind on what to do. She was worried that she would feel down if she didn't get exercise. So, I took her for short walks each day just so she would get fresh air and smell the bushes and poles.

Is it okay for your dog to take walks? Does he get one every day? You might ask the Vet if he needs exercise. It may be that if he is sitting around the house too much he's getting bored and feels down.

Let us know how it goes Monday. I wouldn't change anything or add anything to his diet until you see the Vet--and maybe get a second opinion, too. You don't want to make matters worse by adding stomach upset to the list.

I hope you get some help for him soon!
(09-23-2012, 12:01 AM)Brook Wrote: [ -> ]She put him on an antibiotic because the only thing in his blood work was his pancreatic enzymes were very slightly elevated. ?? He's eating but not as much as usual.

I can touch and rub the spot where he had his incision and he shows no distress. He honestly seems depressed! It's breaking my heart. We're talking him back in on Monday. If he's not improved we'll choose another vet.

Although it's not often I hear about a dog who hasn't fully recovered yet, did you ever give him recovery food after the surgery? When my dogs get sick, our vet would usually recommend for us to feed him Royal Canin Recovery Food. Even the most lethargic of my dogs wasn't able to resist it because it was probably delicious to them and it smelled really good. You should try checking that out and see if he is interested in it.

[Image: 30293-430-large.jpg]

And yes! I think you should seek a second opinion. But I am still hoping that he is just adjusting to the removal of the cyst. Nonetheless, you might as well have him checked out.

Did the vet suggest any vitamins? Or pedialyte for dehydration?
It does sound like your dog is depressed. That's a lot to go through for a pet who may not understand why he's in pain. He may even feel he's done something wrong and is being punished. If your first vet didn't seem willing to really listen to your concerns, you might try getting a second opinion. I'd let the new vet know that's why you're there and be sure to mention the changes. He might need medication, he might need some physical therapy. It can't hurt to get a different perspective on your dog.
I would definitely get a second opinion if it were my dog, just for my own piece of mind. It does seem like maybe your dog is depressed. Think about this for a moment when a human being goes through the trauma of surgery it can be hard knowing that you have to take it easy and not do the things you normally do. Now, imagine this from the point of view of a dog, who may not understand why he isn't feeling his normal healthy self. This could lead to the dog being depressed because he doesn't understand why he isn't feeling completely himself.