Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: funny idea: can you put a collar on a snake?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i would like to take thor out on nice days, but he gets really excited and starts slithering really fast and im afraid of loosing him..is there any way i can fit a collar right behind his head without it inhibiting his movement so i can control where he slithers if he decides to get all crazy? O.o
A collar on a snake? I don't think it's going to work. Tongue
Collar will only work on animals or humans Big Grin whose neck is smaller than both the head and the body, but for a snake it will just slip through the collar because its neck is thicker than its body.
(09-26-2012, 04:09 AM)Ram Wrote: [ -> ]A collar on a snake? I don't think it's going to work. Tongue
Collar will only work on animals or humans Big Grin whose neck is smaller than both the head and the body, but for a snake it will just slip through the collar because its neck is thicker than its body.

but if you really look at a snake, specially a boa like thor, their neck IS smaller than their head and body...their body actually gets very thick from the neck...
I guess you could, theoretically. There is a "neck" as you mentioned. I would be worried that if you got one that fit, the snake could injure itself. You just need to give him some time to calm down, imho. Its hard to "loose" a larger boa, you just have to keep an eye (or hand, lol) on him.
It sounds cute but I don't think it's very practical! We saw some cute costumes for tiny dogs in the pet store the other day and one didn't seem to have any leg holes... I did wonder if it was for a snake, but it turned out just to be a weird design Wink

I just posted what felt like a massive rant about taking pets outdoors but please make sure your pet is safe if you take him out. I don't know what sort of snake he is but I'd get paranoid about a bird of prey attacking or if he escaped. Plus I don't know if there are any diseases wild snakes could have left traces of? I admit I'd not an expert at all, I just get scared about pets out in the big wide world... a lot of the animals I've had wouldn't have survived long outside my house/their pen!
You have to think out of the box to put a collar on a snake. For one, the neck region is not smaller them the body. This means that you will have to constrict its neck which would result in an injury. I would simply construct a small rubber cone and then insert it through the tail such that the head would not be able to slip through. Then I would attach a long string with a hook at the end and fix it to a wall.