Pets Keepers Guide Forums

Full Version: Do your birds fight?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I own two budgies that share a cage. They are still too young to determine gender, but I'm pretty sure that one is male and the other female. I'm not sure why but they are constantly fighting. Whether it's him trying to get to where she is or her just being annoying. Does anyone else have this problem with birds sharing a cage?
I had some birds decades ago when I was a kid. They didn't really fight that much. In fact, one pair of them were kissing constantly. Another pair wasn't so attached to each other but they weren't not fighting either. However, when I added another species of bird into the same cage, the new bird was constantly hopping around and that annoyed the older birds and they attacked the new comer.

How often do they fight? If it is a constant problem you might want to separate them into two cages temporarily. It is just my opinion, not sure what others might say about it.
(10-22-2012, 10:04 AM)Ram Wrote: [ -> ]I had some birds decades ago when I was a kid. They didn't really fight that much. In fact, one pair of them were kissing constantly. Another pair wasn't so attached to each other but they weren't not fighting either. However, when I added another species of bird into the same cage, the new bird was constantly hopping around and that annoyed the older birds and they attacked the new comer.

How often do they fight? If it is a constant problem you might want to separate them into two cages temporarily. It is just my opinion, not sure what others might say about it.

Oh they don't fight that often. They spend time kissing and scratching each other's heads too but from time to time I'll hear them fighting from the kitchen or while I'm cleaning. Sometimes they'll start fighting in the middle of the night and I'll just wake up to her yelling, Tongue I think part of the problem might be the fact that he's younger than she is - but I'm not sure if this would cause a divide between them or not.

I've thought about separating them but at that point I'd feel like I'm condoning their fighting. Sometimes when they fight it looks like it might a territorial thing, like she was there first and doesn't understand why he is there. But if I put them in separate cages it might make it worse when we try to join them again.. At least that's my opinion, Tongue