Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: Pet News Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Pet-News-Forum)
+--- Thread: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call (/Thread-Dog-shaved-to-look-like-lion-prompts-911-call)

Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - Thor - 01-11-2013

This funny story was just in the news.

Someone in Norfolk called 911 and reported seeing "a baby lion walking down Colley Avenue, possibility looking for food". The police immediately called the Virginia Zoo, but the zoo reported both of their lions were accounted for.

It turned out it was a 3-year-old labradoodle shaved to look like a lion.
Some photos,
[Image: charles-dog-lion-facebook-2.jpg]
[Image: o-CHARLES-THE-MONARCH-LABRADOODLE-570.jpg?8]

Here is a video of this Labradoodle "disguised" as a baby lion,

The owner of the dog had created a Facebook page for him. You can find it here, there are a lot more better photos of this "lion". Big Grin
https://Retarded spammer/CharlestheMonarch

What make me laugh more was some of the readers' comments.
Just take a look at this one,
Quote:Last summer my neighbor call and told me to get my children out of the back yard there was an alligator in the tree next to out fence. I went outside and caught a 3 foot iguana that had gotten lose from some where. Gators do not climb trees.

Quote:"Abner, Abner! There's a lion on the Stevens' front lawn!"

Quote:OMG 911 there is a 15 pound lion peeing on a fire hydrant hurry please

These comments cracked me up. Clap

Source: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call

Have any of you heard of stories on pets being misidentified as something else?

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - themdno - 01-12-2013

Aww, he's cute, I do see the resemblance to a lion. I don't exactly know if I would have called the police, but I might have done a double take for a second.

I've never heard of any stories of any pets being mistaken for other animals. I know nobody would mistake my dog for one, but at certain times he looks a little like a bear cub, if you look at him from the right angle.

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - Ram - 01-12-2013

The labradoodle is really cute.

The Resemblance to a lion? Sure!
There is no baby lion or 15-pound lion having mane on them. Big Grin Lions don't grow a mane until they are adults. Some people need to get a clue haha!

No way someone can mistake an iguana for an alligator...as long as they know gators don't climb trees. Banghead

All these misidentify can be contributed to the lack of basic understanding on certain animals. People should have known better before they panic and make calls. It is still funny. Big Grin

I am sure after this incident is in the news, many more people will shave their pets to look like something else.

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - Molly - 01-13-2013

Even though baby lions don't grow manes, I guess that a dog that looks like a lion could indeed frighten someone. This is the first time I ever heard of such a thing.

Perhaps the money to have this dog shaved to look like a lion could have been more wisely spend on, contributing to the local animal shelter. I think it is just a waste of money when there is such a need for all dogs to have a home and be properly cared for.

I would rather hear of a stray being rescued and money spend caring for that stray, then hear of people spending money on getting their dogs excessively groomed.

Just my thoughts.

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - themdno - 01-13-2013

I don't think that's a big deal here, because this type of dog needs grooming anyways. If you don't groom these guys, they start to look bad, their fur gets all gross and scraggly, tangled up.

I get what you're saying, but I don't think this is much more effort than what the groomer would have to do otherwise. I think they would probably even have fun grooming it to look like a lion. So, I would bet that the groomer didn't even charge extra.

But, also, people like to pamper their pets. Sometimes I do big stuff for my dogs, when technically I could have helped a few dogs, instead of just my two. Even though I love all dogs, and want to help them all, I have to give my dogs a little bit extra.

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - Ram - 01-14-2013

@ Molly,
While it is true that it would be nice to have more people helping stray animals, people can do whatever they want with their own money. There is no end to the "good wish". We can all hope everyone stop grooming and donate the grooming money to animal shelter instead, but that is not realistic and not reasonable either.

Besides, like themdno had suggested, grooming to look like a lion might not even cost more than normal grooming anyway. Think about it, if you get a haircut, it is not going to cost you more if you have specific personal preference on how the haircut should be done.

Lets not turn this thread into a debate. Meanwhile lets enjoy this new video about the same news. Big Grin

In the following video, they actually played the recorded 911 call(s). Yep, there were more than one call to the cops.

One call after another as they put it.
Some of the calls -
"I just saw an animal that looked like a small lion".
"It got mane, it got everything".
"I just saw a baby lion".

Like I said earlier, people need to get a clue. "Baby" lions don't get mane. Icon_eek

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - pafjlh - 01-15-2013

I think this is a real cute costume. But its just that a costume, I don't see how it could be mistaken for anything else. If I saw this dog in my neighborhood even from a distance, I might take a double look to determine just what this was. But I don't think I would mistaken this dog for a lion. Even a young lion, as some have said lion's don't get their mane till they reach adulthood. So, I doubt I would of thought this was a lion, I might have wondered what it was, such as an odd looking dog, but a lion highly doubtful.

RE: Dog shaved to look like lion prompts 911 call - amberra824 - 01-23-2013

Aww, I find that dog completely adorable! I loved the imagination and creativity that must have went into his shave. I never would have, in a million years, thought of doing something like that. He looks spectacular, and I think it's an amazing idea - although I doubt the family very much enjoys having 911 called on their dog xD

I can definitely see how someone could mistake him for an actual lion though. If you were to see him in the dark, I'm sure he would look exactly like a small lion. I wouldn't say he looks like a lion cub, because I'm pretty sure that lion cubs don't exactly have manes at their early stages of development. But then again, who knows, I may be wrong Tongue But for someone looking at the dog in the dark, or someone with poor eyesight or maybe even just looking for a distance...at the very least, it would deserve a second glance, for sure.