Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Cats walking on the table? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Cat Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Cat-Forum)
+--- Thread: Cats walking on the table? (/Thread-Cats-walking-on-the-table)

Cats walking on the table? - jowjo5 - 02-22-2013

As much as we try to stop it our cats walk right on top of our kitchen table. We have a squirt bottle but that really doesn't work. In fact one wants a drink, he will come up to the bottle and lick it!

I have given up on it recently but I do not like it because when you sit at the table they seem to think they can come hang out with us. Not really good especially if you have company.

Do you have any tricks to stop this behavior or is it too late to try and stop it?

RE: Cats walking on the table? - Ram - 02-22-2013

Does your cat have something he hate?

Put it on the table and he probably will stay away from there from now on.

Another way is to use a water bottle to spray at your cat every time he gets onto the table. It is harmless but cats don't like it. He will learn his lesson eventually if you spray him when he is at the place you don't want him to be.

One more trick I have heard is to use lemon or vinegar mixed up with some water and spray it on the table where you don't want your cat to be on. Most cats don't like the smell of lemon and vinegar, and they will stay away from where you sprayed.

Hope this will help.

RE: Cats walking on the table? - wolfpacklovin - 02-23-2013

YES, as Ram said. Vinegar works, my cats barely get up on the tables/counters anymore. My hubby likes to shake a can with coins or throw it when they're being bad. It seems to work way better than the spray bottle. My cat almost mocks the spray bottle, she wont even move when I spray her; she just takes it(haha.)

RE: Cats walking on the table? - AnnaU93 - 02-24-2013

Yes, we have also tried the can with the coins inside to distract her so that she would jump off the kitchen table. We also strategically placed around bells that would make noises if she walks by them so that so far is going okay. I hope that there is some product out on the market designed to solve this problem.

RE: Cats walking on the table? - ChanellG - 02-27-2013

(02-22-2013, 01:04 AM)jowjo5 Wrote: In fact one wants a drink, he will come up to the bottle and lick it!

That is hilarious! However, I feel your pain. I am pet nanny to my mom's two cats and they drive me nuts! She got a secondary spray bottle a couple months ago so we could have one for the front and one for the back of the house. She found the bottle a couple days later with a bunch of tiny little holes in it.

RE: Cats walking on the table? - 4sweed - 02-28-2013

I have an idea that might work for you. It stopped our Boots, from getting on the kitchen table and it did not hurt him a bit. Well it might have hurt his feelings a tad, but he got over it.

We bought a package of three small mouse traps. And gathered up a bunch of newspapers.

Set the traps, (no food), in them is needed, as they need to just snap shut.

Then carefully lay a couple of layers of newspapers over top of the traps. Make sure the traps are covered well. This protects kitty's feet from getting caught in the traps when they snap.

When your cat jumps up on the newspapers and the mouse traps snap closed. Usually, it scares them enough that they will avoid that area again.

This works to keep cats and dogs, off the furniture as well.

RE: Cats walking on the table? - scotty - 02-28-2013

Wow! Your guy must love water! My kittens were trained using a water bottle mainly but I used some other tricks.

Whenever the cat would go somewhere it wasn't supposed to I would point to it and shout NO, then go up bop the cat on the nose (not full on slapping it, but a firm pat), pick it up and put it somewhere it was allowed.

This seems to work, because now whenever I point and shout no, they run off and stop doing whatever bad thing they were doing.

However, if your cat is older than a kitten and is stuck in it's way it can be very difficult to retrain the cat!