Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: General (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General)
+--- Forum: Pet News Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Pet-News-Forum)
+--- Thread: Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding (/Thread-Adoption-program-to-discourage-illegal-breeding)

Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - Corzhens - 05-30-2016

The PAWS (Philippine Animal Welfare Society) has a continuing program of pet adoption in order to curb the proliferation of illegal breeding. For a small fee, one can choose from the rescued animals living in the compound of PAWS. As their blurb say, it is better to adopt than to buy. Sometimes the organization gets a free spot in the news report to show their rescued animals. By the way, the rescued pets are mostly stray animals that owners have abandoned and some animals being abused by their owners.

Maybe it's about time that people get the right orientation regarding pets. Particularly dogs that some people look as as sentinels and nothing more. And there are still lots of people that treat pets as mere animals that can let loose - there is still the proliferation of stray dogs and cats in almost all villages amid the ordinance prohibiting such. That clearly shows that the public is not yet aware of the proper caring of pets.

RE: Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - remnant - 05-31-2016

This is common phenomenon where people neglect their animals and would not expend much effort to care about their whereabouts. Some pet owners actually go to the extent of injuring them by throwing projectiles at them for daring to be themselves usually as a result of an innocent foray into the kitchen to collect a discarded piece of steak. Some individuals are so callous that they rarely feed their dogs assuming that they will fend for themselves and this is manifest in their protruding rib cages shorn of flesh due to long periods of underfeeding and malnutrition. A common procedure used to prevent inbreeding is to spay using a tough rubber band which is basically a painless procedure. Its done by those discerning enough to keep the number of animals they can cater for. In my country, the recovery rate of stray animals is low and so is adoption which is usually free of charge. People should be made to know that what makes us human is our humane handling of others who are disadvantaged by their weaknesses. Our strength should be in their weakness.

RE: Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - maxen57 - 06-03-2016

Adoption is more practical. I've also seen the photos of the cats and dogs put up for adoption by both PAWS and CARA Philippines. There are actually a large number of cats compared to dogs and most of the dogs for adoption are seniors. If I can afford it, I would adopt one elder at least but unfortunately, my economic status is not stable right now. I've decided to just have one dog at a time because it's what I can manage for now.

RE: Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - Happyflowerlady - 06-09-2016

While I do agree that it is a good thing to adopt a stray dog; I also think that it is perfectly fine if someone chooses to buy the kind of dog that they want.
The responsibility for so many dogs being in shelters lies not with the prospective dog owners; but with the people who allow their dogs to breed irresponsibly, or who just leave and abandon their dogs.

But to say that a person should only get a dog from the dog pound or rescue shelter, is just exactly like saying that because there are so many needy children in the world, people should adopt an orphan rather than have their own child.
Often , the problem is actually caused by the same thing.
Some people have more children than they can care for, or they are simply not fit to become parents at all, leaving the children to be raised in orphanages, or foster homes.
In any case, this does not mean that responsible people should not become parents of their own children, and no one would likely say they should.

However, the same reasoning does not prevail with pets, and people are often made to feel guilty if they choose to purchase a puppy rather than adopt a stray that was dumped by someone else.

RE: Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - cecejailer - 06-29-2016

I don't understand why anyone would buy a dog rather than adopt one. Why help an industry that keeps growing and gets less and less careful with the animals themselves. They don't care about the dogs, they care about the money they make. Adoption centers take care of the dogs and really try to save the animal's lives. Also, if you can get a pet for free, why bother paying for it? Because you need to make sure the dog is pure breed? Why does it even matter? What makes a breed better or more worth than another? I'm proud to say that every single pet I have ever owned came from either the streets or a shelter.

RE: Adoption program to discourage illegal breeding - Clalser - 10-03-2020

Sounds very interesting, there are a lot of nice pets that are waiting to be adopted.