Pets Keepers Guide Forums
To Stare or Not to Stare... - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Discussions (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Discussions)
+--- Forum: General Discussion (Off Topic) (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-Discussion-Off-Topic)
+--- Thread: To Stare or Not to Stare... (/Thread-To-Stare-or-Not-to-Stare)

To Stare or Not to Stare... - Novelangel - 06-08-2016

I have a real problem with this sometimes. People often don't just glance at me when I walk by. Instead, they stare. For me, this is not a comfortable place to be. Now your average animal has the sense to look away when you meet its eyes but humans are not necessarily that polite, I've noticed. This happens with little children a lot. They will openly stare Icon_eek as if I had just grown a weird second head on top of the first one. I try to ignore the kids, but it's a lot harder with adults. They glance my way again, and again, until I can't help but notice. Now the question to ask yourself is this: Since I am noticing the attention, are they staring at me, or am I staring at them?  Rofl  I never know whether to take it as an insult or as a compliment, to be honest. I usually lean toward the insult realm but that's just because I was bullied as a kid, and as a result, that's how I tend to think. I wonder if my hair looks awful or if I have something stuck in my teeth, or if I have a huge stain on my shirt. Naturally, I assume the worst in every situation. I am terrified to actually ask them what they're staring at because anyone rude enough to openly stare, is also rude enough to answer. I ask my husband if I have food on my face or something, and he always tells me I'm gorgeous. Okay, so he's a bit on the biased side, but I get the sense that the staring has nothing to do with admiring beauty. Instead, I'm absolutely positive that something is horribly wrong and as usual, I'm the last one to know. Do you folks ever get these feelings? I know everyone gets stared at sometimes, but what is your attitude when it happens? Do you feel like disappearing like I do, or do you just roll with it and give them a reason to stare? I'm curious as to how others react to staring.  Popcorn

RE: To Stare or Not to Stare... - remnant - 06-09-2016

Cats process and analyse information quicker than we do. They are also in superfast motion and bump into things especially when running. Cats are also given to follow motion pictures. I have on many occasions caught sight of cats sitting on a widow ledge silently engaged in an interactive discourse with moving objects in its atmosphere. To test their keenness, even the slightest disturbance around them will catch their attention. Its hard to catch cats offguard. The same happens on TV. Cats see a fuller range of colours in blue, red, and yellow and see very little of reds. Both cats and dogs lack a fovea, an area of retina consisting of highly concentrated cones that we humans have giving them a visual acuity of 20/75. This means that they would see an object from 20m away while we would see the same from 75m. They detect the edges and outlines of objects in real life as well as on screen.

RE: To Stare or Not to Stare... - Loro - 10-10-2016

It's kind of a typical thing for girls which happens pretty much when the girl is a good looking one or hot, yes, I've done it a thousand times, how to resist it? Staring at a hot chick is just good, you can let your brain flow and also let your imagination run away as well.

RE: To Stare or Not to Stare... - LoranDee - 12-20-2019

This topic caught my eye and I just couldn't resist.

If to talk about cats and dogs, straight-forward eye contact that isn't denied fast enough, could be read by them like a sign of aggression, they may assume that you may be dangerous. Though, sometimes they're staring just to observe, to get, what the hell is going on. No aggression, just curiosity.

If to go back to OP's story, I'm totally familiar with that filing and have developed few ways to cope with it.
- First of all, I've learned to ignore them. I can't guess, what's going on in their head and have no slightest desire to ask them. The reason can be any, they even could stare without understanding the reason themselves. Moreover, they even may look not on me, they could look somewhere behind me.
- Second option... Yeah, to stare back. This game could be played in both ways. Usually, I'm a winner. But even if they'll laugh for any reason, I could give em judging look, or ironical one... like saying "yeah? really?" without words.
- Third. Get a pleasure from it. If I know, that they are staring at me, and I don't know exact reason, I can imagine a reason that I would prefer and like.