Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Jealous Cat! - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Cat Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Cat-Forum)
+--- Thread: Jealous Cat! (/Thread-Jealous-Cat)

Jealous Cat! - dsperin - 03-02-2013

My cat, Early Bird, has become super jealous since the new arrival of my daughter. While she hasn't gone pooped in the crib or run away (things that I have heard often happen) she has become really demanding and impossible to satisfy.

Recently she has started refusing to leave my lap and she's also started running under my feet when I'm walking. The first time she ran under my feet I had this feeling that she did it on purpose--but I'm just being paranoid, right? Then she did it all day yesterday, so I know I'm not crazy.

I am a super cat lover and I love my cat to death, but I just cannot devote all my time to her with an infant in the house. No matter how much time I spend loving on her she doesn't seem satisfied.

Have any of you experienced the same thing? Any advice you can offer? I joked yesterday with a fellow cat lover that maybe I should take her away for the weekend to a hotel so we can have quality time. Big Grin

RE: Jealous Cat! - Yatte - 03-05-2013

One of my cats did the exact some thing. It got to a point of me being so annoyed with the cat, that we almost had a fall out. This is what i did to change the situation. I introduced my child to the cat, the cat did not even look in her direction as I did the introduction. When my baby were out of the crib I hid some kitty snacks in her bed, this helped kitty become accustomed to her smell, and also made kitty think this newcomer are going to spoil me rotten. ( I call this positive reinforcement) Within a week kitty was sleeping at the baby's feet and even got mad at me when I took my baby out of the crib. Her jealousy turned from the baby to me. They are now fast friends, and "baby" still spoils her a lot.

RE: Jealous Cat! - dsperin - 03-06-2013

I love it! I will definitely try your kitty treat idea. I know she LOVES those Temptation treats.
Early has become accustomed to the baby and will sleep "near" her, but she is still in no way in love with her. The babe is getting to the point where she needs less holding so I'm hoping that I'll soon be able to give the cat more attention.

RE: Jealous Cat! - 4sweed - 03-30-2013

If that does not work, try putting her in a carrying crate and talking to her as you care for the baby. Give her treats and keep her with you in the same area of the house or room, but don't let her command all your time. Do this for a few hours a day, then let her out.

Soon she will settle down and be happy with letting the baby have attention too. A friend of mine had this problem with her cat and new baby, and it solved the problem. Let us know what works for you.
The main thing is keeping baby safe, cause some jealous cats will resort to biting.