Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Kitten pooping in the bathtub, any ideas - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Cat Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Cat-Forum)
+--- Thread: Kitten pooping in the bathtub, any ideas (/Thread-Kitten-pooping-in-the-bathtub-any-ideas)

Kitten pooping in the bathtub, any ideas - suzjbibby - 03-03-2013

We have 2 young kittens both are around 4 months old. they were both using the litter tray without a hitch but now the female one is doing her poops in the bathtub. I suppose it's not all that bad at least it's easy enough to clean up but I don't kno why she should be doing this

We keep the litter tray in the bathroom a couple of feet from the tub, at first I thought maybe she had decided the litter tray was too full (it did need a clean out) so I wasn't particularly concerned, but then even with fresh litter she has still been using the bathtub but only for poops not urinating

RE: Kitten pooping in the bathtub, any ideas - Yatte - 03-04-2013

My cat sometimes goes poopy in the bath when she is upset, or unhappy. This usually happens after we have been away for a few days. or if things change around the house.

Cats do not like the smell of their own excrement, that is why they try to bury it, by doing it in the bath she knows you will remove it quickly. It may be that they smell you in the bath and feels it is a safe place for them, or maybe even with clean litter in the box, the litter box stinks to her.

I have three suggestions on this matter.

1. Change your litter to a scented variety, try lavender, it is the least offensive smell for cats.
2. Give each kitty their own litter box. Cats are sensitive to smell of another cat's urine and feces, as they use their urine to mark their territories, this might be the reason she prefers the bath, the litter box "belongs" to the other kitty. Place her litter box inside the bath to let her know it is hers.
3. Try letting her do her thing outside in the garden, there are a lot less confusing and intimidating smells out doors.

Hope this helps.

RE: Kitten pooping in the bathtub, any ideas - 4sweed - 03-09-2013

Try putting water in the tub about 4 inches deep. Most cats will not go in the water and hopeful will use the litter box again.

Add extra litter to the pan and use the clumping kind. Makes it easier to clean and cats seem to like it better. Some of the cheaper litters stick to the pads of their feet when digging the hole for the poo and covering it up.

Boots our cat, hates the scented litter. He refused to use it. So we add baking soda to the litter to prevent strong smells.

Another litter box might work if put near the other one, if you put it in the bath it might defeat the purpose in trying to get her to stop using the tub.

RE: Kitten pooping in the bathtub, any ideas - suzjbibby - 03-10-2013

Changing the litter seems to have worked, we did not use scented but we used a different brand and that seems to suit her ok. I did buy some baking soda today to help with the smells and hopefully we can all continue to use it the way it is now, if the tub thing comes up again I am going to try leaving water in as 4sweed sugested
Thanks very much for your suggestions Smile