Pets Keepers Guide Forums
I'm not Happy with My Vet - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Dog Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Dog-Forum)
+--- Thread: I'm not Happy with My Vet (/Thread-I-m-not-Happy-with-My-Vet)

I'm not Happy with My Vet - haopee - 05-22-2013

What do you love about our vet?

I have to admit that I miss my old vet. Although I still go to the same clinic, I haven't seen her anymore. She's the one who's patient and genuinely concerned about our dogs. The last vet (the one who consulted Chooey) is probably nice, but there's just something about her that bothers me. She was impatient with Chooey, knowing that Chooey was in pain and she was visibly expressing her frustration. Now, I am so hesitant to bring her there because I might encounter that vet.

Have you ever felt this way?

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - Thor - 05-24-2013

Tell her nicely to be more patient with your dog. If she won't listen, then are you able to find a different vet? If you do not like her then just do not give her any more business. It is her loss. Simple as that. Smile

What happened to your last vet anyway? Ask around for her the next time you are there.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - cliverederson - 05-24-2013

I happened to luck out that one of my best friends' dad is a vet in my home town, so pretty much if I ever need to take my dog to a vet I make the hour drive out to see him. There are other closer vets that I would probably go to in an emergency, but as long as I don't need to rush, I go to him. He doesn't offer me any discounts though haha.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - haopee - 05-24-2013

(05-24-2013, 06:42 AM)Thor Wrote: Tell her nicely to be more patient with your dog. If she won't listen, then are you able to find a different vet? If you do not like her then just do not give her any more business. It is her loss. Simple as that. Smile

What happened to your last vet anyway? Ask around for her the next time you are there.

Thank you. I had my dog brought in today. Her bandage is due for replacement. Surprisingly, this vet didn't even ask how the dog was. She just replaced the bandage and was done. Not even some advice.

What kind of vet doesn't ask how a dog is? I paid for the consultation fee and there wasn't any consultation- just a bandage replacement.

The problem is, I really like this clinic. Unfortunately, it's just sheer bad luck that I ended up with her when there are 2 others on duty. And on this second visit it was her AGAIN.

Good question. I've never seen her for a long time, perhaps she decided to transfer.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - trishgl - 05-25-2013

Perhaps when you set an appointment the next time you can specify which doctor you would like. It's not unusual to request a specific doctor, you are paying after all. I also changed my dog's vet last year. Although she was okey she was rushing consultations and was a doctor of few words. Her explanations were usually "that's how it is". My new Vet's office is farther from my house but I'm okey with it because he really takes the time to explain my dog's condition and the treatment needed. He also goes the extra mile and mentions other options and alternatives.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - nafretiti - 05-25-2013

Sounds like you need a new veterinarian ,like they do not even care how your animal is. I would take the advice of Trish here and ask for a specific Vet,that way you will not get that woman again. Even animal doctors need to ask how their patient is,that is what I personally think. Tell them your concerns and that you are paying for consultation and that the person who looked at your animal is not even giving you what you wanted, as a momma to your fur baby that is your duty to find someone who will actually care and ask you questions on their progress.

May I ask how your baby is doing now and why bandaged up? Hopefully everything goes ok at the next visit and here is to your baby feeling better and recovering.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - cmdr-apollo - 05-27-2013

Yikes. That is sad and I definitely know the feeling. Luckily my current vet is fantastic and attentive, but my previous vet office had a particularly unpleasant vet that I always got. If I were you, I would definitely request a certain vet. You don't have to mention your problems with the other one, if you don't want to - I know that can be uncomfortable - just make the conversation about *wanting* whichever specific vet, rather than *not* wanting the other one. Of course complaints are always helpful, too, if you're comfortable giving them. She might not even realize what she's doing wrong or that it is bothering people, and it might give her supervisor a chance to help her become more involved.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - jules0309 - 05-28-2013

Thank god my vet has been wonderful with my dogs back home and I definitely had good luck in finding another vet where I am who adores my cat as well. The funny thing about vets back home is that they actually make house calls. Whenever my dogs were not feeling well, a call and the vet would come as soon as he could.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - Jezebella - 07-13-2013

My vet was my 4-H leader so I know that she's awesome. I say to always go with your gut. If you feel uncomfortable, your dog will pick up on that. When you sign in you could just say, "I'm fine seeing X or Y please."

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - haopee - 07-18-2013

I decided to be picky with my vet. I asked the secretary that whenever I call for a vet check-up, it should be for one of 2 specific vets.

What this novice vet couldn't do for an entire month, Dr. M was able to accomplish within minutes She's really amazing and she's been working in that same clinic for some time so I was confident with her treatment.

I think during that time I was lucky that the vet who I didn't like had her day off.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - Writer E - 08-17-2013

Just like human doctors, vets have different personalities and varieties of "bedside manner." I just want to echo the other posters and say that you have a right to choose your vet. You might want to specify that you want to deal with only Dr. M, or if they won't let you do that, shop around for another clinic. Sounds like the other vet is not only less compassionate, but also less skilled. You want the best for your fur-baby. Don't let the desires of the clinic dictate what quality of care you and your pet receive. As another poster pointed out, if you do say something, it might point out to the "novice vet" that she needs to change some things. After all, her ability to retain patients will determine her value to the clinic. So it would be in her (and the clinic's) best interest to change.

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - mommy42 - 08-17-2013

I went through that before we found our current vet. The place we went had a lot of vets so you might not get the same one each time. I always felt like it was just a "mill". Get you in and out quickly and it always seemed kind of impersonal. They were nice - it just never felt like you developed a relationship with the vet. I'm the kind of person that needs that!

I really love our current vet!!! It is just him as the vet. There are lots of techs but just one vet. He knows me by name and always takes time to love on my dog! Smile he listens and never seems to be in a hurry! He will even call if Dutch (my mini schnauzer) has been ill to check on him. Smile

The techs and office staff know me when I come in, know my dog, and when I call they always know what I've ordered as far as food and make sure I have enough on hand!

Sometimes you have to shop around to find the right match just like we do for our doctors. Smile

RE: I'm not Happy with My Vet - nonsiccus - 08-20-2013

Why should you settle for a vet that you don't like? I see this the same way as I do about a family doctor, or any other healthcare professional. These people are taking care of the health of you, and your family (dog(s) included) - why should you have any sort of personal conflict with them? You might as well go for the vet that you like or are comfortable with, because it means for a healthier personal relationship between the two of you, and in turn, more trust with one of your healthcare professionals.

Your dog will read the tension you have when you're around a person you don't like, and may translate that in to negative behaviour. If it's within reason, you should nip that in the bud and just take your dog to a vet that both of you can enjoy being around.