Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Miniature Pig Craze - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Forum for all other mammal pets (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Forum-for-all-other-mammal-pets)
+--- Thread: Miniature Pig Craze (/Thread-Miniature-Pig-Craze)

Miniature Pig Craze - BWP - 07-04-2013

I was watching a documentary about how miniature pigs (they even advertised them as "teacup pigs" because they're so tiny and love tea!) have been becoming a fashionable pet among the wealthy and well-heeled. I think even Paris Hilton had one!
I really do not think if is wise to keep pigs, miniature or otherwise because many people do not realize that the cute pigs seen in magazines and on the news are really piglets just a few days or weeks old and can grow up to 200 pounds within a few years!
Not only do you have to contend with a 200-pound pet pig, pigs in general do not take to toilet training as well as dogs and cats (hence the saying that a place is as filthy as a pigsty etc.).
So to all those who think miniature pigs are cute, don't buy them unless you know what you're in for!

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - Happyflowerlady - 07-24-2013

There are actually miniature pigs, and they will only grow to around 10-15 lbs, if you take care of them properly. These are the tiny Potbelly Pigs, and when they are babies, they are not much bigger than a kitten.
However, the size they will grow to be depends on the kind of food they are fed, and how much they are allowed to eat. If you feed them their special chow, they will do fine, but if they have regular pig food, it has the growth hormones in it, and is also formulated for a pig to put on weight, and grow as large as possible, as fast as possible.

Pigs are very smart animals, considered right up there with dogs in intelligence, so they can easily be house trained . We used to have a friend that had one, and he kept the pig in his bedroom with him, and took it out to use the bathroom, just like you would do with a dog.

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - Rube - 07-24-2013

I am always concerned about trendy pets. People rush out to buy something that looks cute and which some celebrities are known to own. It is really important to do some research and find out all you can before considering any type of pet.

Pigs can be friendly and inquisitive creatures, but they are not indoor animals and would probably be happier in a pen with outdoor access. Also I would worry about pet owners keeping a single pig, whatever its size. It is unnatural for a pig to live in isolation, without ever seeing another of its own kind. Human company will not compensate for its natural inclinations and social needs.

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - Happyflowerlady - 07-27-2013

Comparing a miniature Potbelly Pig to a regular farm pig being grown for food, is like comparing your pet Pomeranian to a wild coyote, they are both in the same animal type, but very different in nature.
Miniature pigs can and do make a great pet, and they will bond with their owner just like a dog does. Since they are so intelligent, they can be house trained, and taught manners, as well. Pigs are very social and friendly creatures, and the one that my friend had loved being carried around, and going places with him.
Any animal that is being raised for food, is not usually given any socializing, or special housing, and in fact are usually put in small pens and simply fed until they are large enough to butcher, so they are certainly not living the life that a pig wants either, and are actually very inhumanely treated.
Dogs that are used for the dogfights are also locked or tied in tiny cages, and fought until they are killed, but that does not mean that this is a natural habitat for a dog, anymore than the tiny pens are natural for a pig.

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - TreeClimber - 08-01-2013

I don't think this type of pet is for everyone. While they may be cute, you still need to have the proper set up for them. I think this is the type of pet people get before they have researched and then they are disappointed soon after.

I have a teenaged relative who wants one. She thinks it would be cute and fun, but doesn't think of the work involved.

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - BWP - 08-05-2013

(07-24-2013, 09:37 PM)Rube Wrote: I am always concerned about trendy pets. People rush out to buy something that looks cute and which some celebrities are known to own. It is really important to do some research and find out all you can before considering any type of pet.

Pigs can be friendly and inquisitive creatures, but they are not indoor animals and would probably be happier in a pen with outdoor access. Also I would worry about pet owners keeping a single pig, whatever its size. It is unnatural for a pig to live in isolation, without ever seeing another of its own kind. Human company will not compensate for its natural inclinations and social needs.

While I totally agree that one has to be specially prepared to take care of a miniature pig, I think that pigs evolved to live in a herd. Unless you are prepared to raise a small herd of little pigs in your house, it wouldn't be proper to raise a single pig. Then again, this is my opinion and as I haven't actually raised one myself, a person who has actually taken care of one would know better.

I do agree with Happyflowerlady about properly feeding them. Having a little pig in the bedroom does sound cute! Knowing that they can be toilet trained like dogs is quite a relief! But yes, they are not like dogs or cats so special knowledge and know-how is definitely required.

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - alycat32 - 08-18-2013

I've seen these cute little piggies as well and always think how fun it would be to have one. However as was pointed out, sometimes the reality is not as cute and fun as the fantasy picture and I don't think I'm the type that coukd handle a little piggy. I'm so used to just having to scoop my cats litterbox that I nearly threw up from having to bag up some fresh dog poop after walking our friends dog haha! But anyone who has the space and the want for one of these pigs I say go for it and share pictures and videos.

RE: Miniature Pig Craze - vi0let - 04-08-2015

Miniature pigs are just trendy pets. As I was saying in another post, people are being tricked into buying pot bellied pigs sold as miniature piglets. These pigs are generally just underfed in order to keep them tiny and cute. It's a shame really, because these pigs are quickly dismissed as they out grow their expected size. Pigs can be really intelligent animals. Unfortunately, most homes aren't the proper place for them unless you know what you are getting yourself into.