Pets Keepers Guide Forums
I seem to only like my own pet... - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Dog Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Dog-Forum)
+--- Thread: I seem to only like my own pet... (/Thread-I-seem-to-only-like-my-own-pet)

I seem to only like my own pet... - cliverederson - 08-05-2013

I grew up with mostly cats, we had a dog once when I was very little, but I can't hardly remember him. I never felt like I was a dog person, as a kid I just liked the cats we had because that was my only option really. When I was exposed to a nice chihuahua and learned what it could be like, I became intrigued with the idea of owning one, long story short I researched it and decided to get one, and I'm very glad I did. I'd like to think I'm a "dog person" now, but it doesn't much seem to be true. I still don't like other peoples' big dogs who try to jump up on you, or are dirty and smell bad and your friends expect you to pet them (I'm a little germophobic too). And I don't like cats because I have allergies to them and I'd rather not get their hair on me. The point of all this is, I have friends and my parents who own dogs or cats, and they're super nice about my dog but I don't feel like I return the affection enough. I try to kind of fake it, but I still don't think it's really the same. Am I just a jerk? I'm not quite sure what I expect in response to this post, but I guess I mostly wanted to express it since it's something I feel guilty about.

RE: I seem to only like my own pet... - mommy42 - 08-15-2013

(08-05-2013, 06:29 PM)cliverederson Wrote: I grew up with mostly cats, we had a dog once when I was very little, but I can't hardly remember him. I never felt like I was a dog person, as a kid I just liked the cats we had because that was my only option really. When I was exposed to a nice chihuahua and learned what it could be like, I became intrigued with the idea of owning one, long story short I researched it and decided to get one, and I'm very glad I did. I'd like to think I'm a "dog person" now, but it doesn't much seem to be true. I still don't like other peoples' big dogs who try to jump up on you, or are dirty and smell bad and your friends expect you to pet them (I'm a little germophobic too). And I don't like cats because I have allergies to them and I'd rather not get their hair on me. The point of all this is, I have friends and my parents who own dogs or cats, and they're super nice about my dog but I don't feel like I return the affection enough. I try to kind of fake it, but I still don't think it's really the same. Am I just a jerk? I'm not quite sure what I expect in response to this post, but I guess I mostly wanted to express it since it's something I feel guilty about.

Oh my gosh! I can totally relate!! You are not weird at all and you shouldn't feel guilty!! Smile I feel the same way that you do. I don't like cat or dog hair and I hate when I go to someone's house and there is pet hair everywhere!!

Sometimes it is almost like other peoples kids - they are never as well behaved as your own!!! Lol! Just kidding! But I totally get where you are coming from!

I don't like cats. I'm not allergic but I always seem to need to rub my nose after being around one. I would also call myself a dog person but don't go out of my way to go gaga over anyone else's pets!

Glad to know I'm not the only one! Yay!! Smile

RE: I seem to only like my own pet... - alycat32 - 08-16-2013

I don't think that is necessarily a super weird thing. My friend is the same way. She adores her little pug but is awkward around other people's dogs. I suppose it's similar to loving your own children but being annoyed by someone else's. My friend takes her dog for long walks but purposely avoids dog parks so she can avoid running into other people's dogs in large numbers.

It's funny, her doggy sheds like crazy but she can't stand other dogs fur.

RE: I seem to only like my own pet... - apickett80 - 08-17-2013

I don't think you're a jerk at all for liking only your own dog. It's not set in stone that pet owners must like other peoples pets. I happen to enjoy other peoples pets as well as my own but that doesn't mean that you are wrong for not doing the same thing.

RE: I seem to only like my own pet... - ohiotom76 - 08-17-2013

Well, I'm not a kid person at all, and I always have to fake it when my friends bring their kids around - so don't feel so bad, lol. Maybe you're just not much of a pet person in general, considering the way you described it you don't have much of a bond with your dog as well as other people's pets. There's nothing wrong with that. If a lot of things about cats and dogs bother you, they may not be a good fit for companionship. I like a lot of animals in general, but there are still some I would never want as a pet, such as snakes, or birds. That's one important thing about adopting a pet, you can't just go out there with the mindset of "I want this particular breed of pet that looks exactly this way". You need to explore multiple breeds to see which ones you click with, and which personalities you get along with.

RE: I seem to only like my own pet... - cliverederson - 09-12-2013

Well, thanks guys you make me feel a little better. I'll tell you what the main thing I worry about is, I'm a single guy and almost every girl you meet has a pet. I have a house that my dad and I have rehabbed and it caused fights with my last girlfriend, she wanted to bring her dog over and I was never big on it. Her dog peed on my carpet once too. I guess I'm just set in my ways, but it makes me feel kind of guilty to own a dog, but then not want a girlfriend to bring hers over... I guess a big part of it is being protective of the house and all of the money I've spent to fix it up.

@ohiotom: I agree with you, I definitely wouldn't be accepting of snakes and birds! Not my thing.

@mommy42: I totally relate about cats. I'm a little afraid I'll meet some great girl but she'll own cats... then what do you do? How could we ever move in together down the road, I couldn't ask someone to give up a pet.

RE: I seem to only like my own pet... - tierapatt50 - 12-19-2013

It is nothing to feel guilty about because these feeling about animals or even children is very common. People will only be attached or like their own pets but when it comes to other pets they do not want anything to do with them and it can be the same situation with children as well. So you should not feel bad about it because it does happen.