Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Street cats... - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Cat Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Cat-Forum)
+--- Thread: Street cats... (/Thread-Street-cats)

Street cats... - dickybird - 12-07-2013

I have always been a dog lover, and slightly scared of cats. However since moving to Turkey I have now mellowed out. It is heartbreaking to see so many cats on the street. There are thosands of street cats here and they are continually breeding. I don't know how Turkey can tackle this problem, but they have started to make steps by making it free for street cats to be neutered. A lot of people will buy cat food and leave it in public places so the cats can eat. I have a dog and I have tried to integrate a cat into our house, my dog is harmless and just wants to play, but the cats are instantly on the defensive as they are used to fighting and think dogs are the enemy. So I ave been unable to rehome one.
How do you feel about street cats? Have you any ideas on how you would tackle this problem? Would your heart melt and adopt a couple of cats?

RE: Street cats... - BirdPoo - 01-22-2014

Overpopulation of pets is a global issue. I am not knowledgeable in regards to the statistics in other countries but every year in the U.S., an estimated 6 to 8 million lost, abandoned, or unwanted dogs and cats enter animal shelters and approximately half of those, many of them healthy, young, and adoptable—must be euthanized. Unfortunately these numbers rise year after year.

One would think that education and responsible ownership would help with this problem. Is it possible for such a huge problem to be solved?
YES. But only by implementing widespread sterilization programs, only by spaying and neutering all companion animals, will we be able to get a handle on this problem. Consider the fact that in six short years one female dog and her offspring can be the source of 67,000 puppies. In seven years one cat and her young can produce 420,000 kittens. Given these high reproductive rates, it stands to reason that carefully planned and implemented sterilization programs could produce a dramatic reduction in the number of unwanted companion animals born in only a few years. In fact, in those towns and cities that have implemented such programs, we've already seen the number of companion animals who had to be euthanized decline by 30 to 60 percent?even in those communities whose human populations have been steadily increasing. Successful pet-overpopulation control programs range from low-cost sterilization clinics, to cooperative efforts involving local veterinarians, to mass-media educational campaigns. Only through the nationwide establishment of such programs will we be able to bring an end to the tragedy of pet overpopulation.

Abandoned and stray companion animals who survive in the streets and alleys of cities and suburbs pose a health threat to humans and to other animals. Homeless companion animals get into trash containers, defecate in public areas or on private lawns, and anger citizens who have no understanding of their misery or their needs. Some of these animals scare away or prey upon wildlife.

Living creatures have become throwaway items to be cuddled when cute and abandoned when they become inconvenient. Such disregard for animal life pervades and erodes our culture globally.

RE: Street cats... - Roseary - 01-23-2014

In my neighborhood a lot of people prefer to have an "outside" cat (which is basically just a street cat) over an in door one. I am not sure why, to me I would think the cat would be more likely to attract diseases and such. I prefer to have my cats inside where I know they are safe and sound. The only time I might not have an in door cat is if I took them off the street since they might have flees, be dirty, and might not be used to an in door environment.

RE: Street cats... - BirdPoo - 01-23-2014

I personally do not mind having a cat outside as long as it is properly cared for. This would include the basics of food, water and shelter in inclement weather. But in addition to the basics, I strongly believe that any outdoor cat should be fully vaccinated and dewormed every year.

The Rabies vaccine isn't enough for an outdoor cat. People should not neglect getting their cat the Feline Aids (FIV) and Feline Leukemia (FeLV)
Vaccination.

About FIV:
The feline immunodeficiency virus (FIV) infection is a complex retrovirus that causes immunodeficiency disease in domestic cats. Immunodeficiency is the medical term used to describe the body’s inability to develop a normal immune response. FIV is slow moving, capable of lying dormant in the body before causing symptoms (lentivirus). It is in the same class of viruses as the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV), the causative agent of acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) in people.

The average age is five years at the time of diagnosis, and the likelihood of infection increases with age. FIV is a transmissible disease that occurs more often in males because of their tendency to be more aggressive, and because they are more likely to roam, thereby increasing their exposure to the virus.

About FeLV:
Feline leukemia virus (FeLV) is a disease that impairs the cat's immune system and causes certain types of cancer. This virus is responsible for a majority of deaths in household cats, affecting all breeds. Males are more likely to contract the infection than females, and it is usually seen between the ages of one to six years old.

FeLV is usually contracted from cat-to-cat transmission (e.g., bites, close contact, grooming, and sharing dishes or litter pans). It can also be transmitted to a kitten at birth or through the mother's milk. Kittens are much more susceptible to the virus, as are males and cats which are allowed to go outside.

I think it would be a "no-brainer" when determining the need for deworming. Do you really want parasites making a cozy home in the intestines of your furry friend? I think not!

These articles demonstrate why I strongly support such vaccinations for all outdoor cats. These diseases are devastating to watch and have NO CURE.