Pets Keepers Guide Forums
my dog pees in the house - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Mammal Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Mammal-Forum)
+--- Forum: Dog Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Dog-Forum)
+--- Thread: my dog pees in the house (/Thread-my-dog-pees-in-the-house)

my dog pees in the house - antoinebugleboy - 03-29-2014

She's well potty trained, and I've known her to be able to hold it a very long time now and then. So when she does it in the house, I am pretty sure she is doing it deliberately. I don't know why.

Does your dog do this? Is It because they're mad? because they're anxious?

She's a fairly well behaved dog. I haven't been able to figure out a consistent pattern.

RE: my dog pees in the house - skywatcher - 04-04-2014

Maybe she's anxious, or maybe she can't find the potty?

My shi tzu sometimes does this mostly when she can't find the potty (we always set up rags around the house where she can pee). So, for example, when we accidentally close the door and she needs to pee, she sometimes pees where she is.

The "deliberate" part, though, always happens when she gets into the bed. I think it's because she just wants to do it, or maybe she just wants to make her presence felt whenever she lies down on the bed. Now it doesn't happen anymore, and now she can sleep comfortably there.

RE: my dog pees in the house - antoinebugleboy - 04-05-2014

Maybe she's anxious, though about what I have no idea. I don't think it's because she can't find the potty. We take her out to pee several times a day, and when we leave her alone in the house, she never pees on the carpet. When she does do it, and she's sometimes done this when we're not around, sometimes when we're looking right at her, it seems like she does it on purpose, with something in mind.

The closest explanation I can think of is that she gets really excited about something and that's how she reacts.

Ripley's never peed the bed, thank goodness. Smile

RE: my dog pees in the house - Ofnir - 04-17-2014

How old is your dog? Not to be gross but does the urine have a particularly foul odor? Maybe your dog has some kind of bladder problem or condition that you should get checked. My retriever is really old and sometimes has "accidents" in the house.

RE: my dog pees in the house - antoinebugleboy - 04-17-2014

(04-17-2014, 02:44 AM)Ofnir Wrote: How old is your dog? Not to be gross but does the urine have a particularly foul odor? Maybe your dog has some kind of bladder problem or condition that you should get checked. My retriever is really old and sometimes has "accidents" in the house.

She's only 3, and most times she waits to pee until we take her outside. I think it's an emotional thing. She does this when she's upset (I scolded her for being aggressive about trying to steal food from a counter.), or overexcited (She did this once when we took her to a particularly beloved friend's house.).

It doesn't happen too often, so we're just dealing with it. Does anyone else have this problem with their dog? Smile

RE: my dog pees in the house - Happyflowerlady - 04-17-2014

If you are taking her outside, and she is going when she is there; then it does sound like it might be an excited reaction.
one thing you can try is putting her in a crate overnite, and then making sure she is out long enough to get all of her chores done when she goes out in the morning.
If she then comes in and still has an accident in the house, then I think it is either a physical problem, as was suggested. or it is just excitement.
They make doggie pants/diapers that you can try if she is doing this a lot and it is being a problem with having to clean it up a lot.