Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Fish Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Fish-Forum)
+--- Forum: Aquarium and Pond fish Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Aquarium-and-Pond-fish-Forum)
+--- Thread: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster (/Thread-Pet-or-Food-Blue-crayfish-not-your-typical-lobster)

Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Thor - 04-18-2012

Video of a Blue crayfish. Selective breed has created varies colors of many species of pets, including crayfish.
I don't know why, blue is just one of my favorite color. The music sucks in my opinion, but this "lobster" makes me Slobber .
One man's food is another man's pet. Boozing
What is it to you? Pet or food? Tongue

For people who have slow connection, here is the screenshot of the blue crayfish from the video
[Image: bluecrayfish.jpg]

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Mantis - 05-07-2012

I'll be honest with you. I've never eaten lobster before. I love fish of practically any kind. I guess I should really try lobster soon, eh? I just wasn't sure what they taste like. In any case, wow, it looks so cool. I love the colour blue. If I loved lobster, it would be a tough choice. But I think if I saw it alive first I'd find it hard to eat it.

I wonder how many people eat their dead pets. I'm being serious. I hear python tastes better than bacon, so I wonder if the python had very recently died, how many people have eaten one. I suppose that's a whole new topic!

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Ram - 05-07-2012

I knew someone who had a party to eat his dead fish when it died. It was a big fish and lived for many years. I guess he was sad and happy at the same time when eating it. I also heard it wasn't very good taste, but that wasn't the point of the party lol.

Here is a photo I took at a pet store with more crayfish. They came in with 3 different colors.
[Image: lots-of-crayfish.jpg]

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Mantis - 05-07-2012

They look very interesting, but still, the lack of interaction with most aquatic creatures kind of discourages me from the idea.

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Thor - 05-08-2012

Not all attention seeking pets get the amount of attention they wanted. Not all pet owners want too much interaction. Smile Sure people can interact with fish. Check out the thread where Jackie Chan trains a fish. Is that enough interaction for you?

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - rickyadams47 - 01-09-2014

It looks new to me, I never saw blue lobster in my life.. Thanks for sharing this vedio...

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - DomDom - 01-24-2014

Wow this looks very cool, I saw blue lobsters before but not white ones :o

Pertaining to lobsters, do you guys know that in history lobsters werent eaten at all ? I read a great article about it a year ago. Lobsters in history were thought as a sick mans food. People were grossed out by them (something like worms today, who knows about worms in the future Big Grin). They were only served to inmates at prisons. In historic books you can find info that at the time there were so many lobsters in the sea that at the time of strong waves and tides they were being washed ashore at the thousands (I read that this was in New England specifically). So its interesting to see how humans point of views change over time. Its such a drastic change in society, going from a crazy mans or prisoners food to a luxurious and great tasting is quite a change. If I had one I would take the white one btw Big Grin

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Ram - 01-24-2014

I think many of you guys are confused. Tongue: Crayfish are not lobsters. Although they are similar in appearances, they are different species.

1. Crayfish are much smaller than lobsters.
Typical crayfish are 2~6 inches long, while lobsters can be as big as 20 inches long.

2. Crayfish are from freshwater, while lobsters are from saltwater environment.

There are other characteristics making them different. You can find more details on in the following links
http://animals.pawnation.com/differences-between-lobsters-crayfish-4113.html
http://www.differencebetween.net/science/nature/difference-between-crawfish-and-lobster/

The smaller size combined with freshwater environment, it makes crayfish an ideal pet for freshwater aquarium owners. They are much easier to take care of. I do not known anyone who own a true lobster as a pet... although I am sure there are people out there doing it lol.

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - lacrawfish - 03-13-2014

When I use to fish for Crawfish we used a raw chicken drumstick on a string. We wouid lower the drumstick down by the rocks and the Crawfish would get on the chicken.

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Happyflowerlady - 05-25-2014

The blue crawfish is just awesome ! It is almost an electric blue, and so exotic looking. I have tried eating crawfish before, and I did not like them at all, but i think that most of it was the way that they are cooked, and that you are supposed to suck out "the brains", which I was told are not actually brains at all---- but still, the idea did me in ! !
Now, lobster, I like eating lobster, since that is more just the back and the claws.
When we had our Cajun restaurant, we ordered live crawfish, which my husband cooked. I had a small fishtank and always picked out the liveliest ons for the tank, and people enjoyed looking at them when they came in for dinner.
I think the blue ones should definitely be a pet, and not food; but that is just me.

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - evelynmcgregor - 06-27-2014

It was wonderful to see all of the different pictures of colored crayfish. I have never seen them before and they are beautiful. I would love to have a fishtank with nothing but the colored crayfish in it. I have had crayfish in a tank before, but they were the brownish ones that I caught in the wild. I found them very interesting and entertaining to watch. Right now I have a 10gal tank with one lone male betta in it.

RE: Pet or Food? - Blue crayfish - not your typical lobster - Ram - 06-27-2014

The bright colors you see on those crayfish is the result of selective breed in captivity. All crayfish were brownish in color in their original wild forms. If you attempt to cross different colors of crayfish, their offspring will just revert to their wild brownish form.

The same goes for some aquarium dwarf shrimps. Such as red cherry shrimps, yellow shrimps, etc. They are basically the same species with different colors resulted from captivity selective breeding. Any "cross" will revert them back to their wild forms which won't be pretty any more lol.

Of course there are certain wild crayfish/lobster/shrimp out there with natural colorful forms, but they are rare since bright colors often make them easier prey because it would be terrible as camouflage lol.