Pets Keepers Guide Forums
Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Printable Version

+- Pets Keepers Guide Forums (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Reptile Forum (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-Reptile-Forum)
+--- Forum: General reptile (http://petskeepersguide.com/forums/Forum-General-reptile)
+--- Thread: Why people keep venom snake as pet? (/Thread-Why-people-keep-venom-snake-as-pet)

Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Ram - 04-23-2012

Are there people keeping venom snake as pet? If yes, why would they take such risk?

What kind of precautions do they take in order to have such dangerous pet?

I know some people might think snake experts can handle venom snakes without ever been bitten. The truth is some kind of accident will eventually happen when interaction with venom snakes for years. One time I saw a TV show about accidents with animals, and a snake expert who works at a lab was bitten by a venom snake. His job was to extract venom from snakes on daily basis, and he had been doing it thousands of times over the years. Another story was a snake farm owner got bitten by a snake and had suffered permanent damage to several of his fingers due to the venom. Accident still can happen. Wasn't there a saying that if you walk on the shore very often, you will eventually get your shoes wet?

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Fishbone - 04-24-2012

Well, this is complicated. First, it depends by what you mean as a "pet". Nobody should ever keep a "hot" snake as a pet, especially not anything in the elapidae or viperidae family. If you have one of these animals, it is more of a display or observational animal. I find them fascinating. But it is not a "pet". You need to have a secure cage, this really goes for any snake, but even moreso here. As well as plenty of experience handling aggressive snakes. If your in America, you should have proper antivenin on hand, as most of America still only has crofab readily available, and this is only really effective for Crotalus species (north american pit vipers.) You wouldn't want to rely on a hospital to have enough of the proper antivenin for a elapid or true viper bite as fast as you may need it.

I think most of the bites experienced people take from these are from carelessness. You handle a snake for a long time, you think you know it's temperament, and you let part of your guard down. I got bit last night, my fault, feeding a little girl here. It was late, I was tired, she was ready to eat, and came out striking when I opened the container and missed the mouse. Difference is all I needed was a cotton ball with some peroxide.

I have seen certain species of captive bred venomous snakes that are beautiful, and seem completely tame and handleable, which they may be. But people sometimes get caught up in that, and forget the risk that comes with it. I have always thought these are beautiful and calm animals:

I have thought of getting certain species of rear fanged coulbrids, which would considered the safer versions of "hot" snakes. But I won't, simply because I have two daughters, and you really can't allow something like that in the house. You would have to have a locking cage. Not worth the risk.

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Ram - 04-24-2012

I wouldn't take the risk either. It seems to be too dangerous. There are just too many people out there, each has their own favorite.

There was a friend of mine bought a tiny snake. It escaped overnight. Not sure how the snake did it. It was just gone with the cover of the tank still in place. The whole family was scared because they had no idea where the snake might come out again.

A question for you since you mentioned it. Do you find venom snakes physically more attractive?

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Fishbone - 04-24-2012

(04-24-2012, 10:12 AM)Ram8349 Wrote: A question for you since you mentioned it. Do you find venom snakes physically more attractive?

Not necessarily. There are beautiful venomous snakes, and beautiful non-venomous ones, same as anything else.

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Thor - 04-24-2012

Had the thought of "I wish this snake isn't venomous" ever come cross your mind? Because you are "physically attracted" Slobber to a particular venomous snake species? Tongue

If the answer is yes. What species was it?

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Black Mamba - 04-24-2012

I agree that they aren't really 'pets', but more for show or display. They should only be kept by experienced experts. As for motivations in keeping one, they are pretty cool, and you can certainly use it to brag.

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Thor - 04-24-2012

Hey, brag is important! :p Many of us brag about something. I brag about my planted aquariums.

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Fishbone - 04-25-2012

(04-24-2012, 10:44 AM)Admin Wrote: Had the thought of "I wish this snake isn't venomous" ever come cross your mind? Because you are "physically attracted" Slobber to a particular venomous snake species? Tongue

If the answer is yes. What species was it?

Well there are a number of animals I would want if they weren't venomous. Allot of the tree vipers and eyelash vipers.

I really like Trimeresurus trigonocephalus, the Sri Lankan green viper or palm viper.

[Image: 0602.jpeg]

I also like allot of the monacled and spectecled cobra morphs. This one is called a sunset.

[Image: 1277680.jpg]

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Ram - 04-25-2012

Those are some really beautiful snakes! Nice colors!

The nature has made the most beautiful also the most deadly.

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Fishbone - 04-25-2012

Ahh... there are plenty of pretty nonveonmous critters out there, some random pics from around the net of green tree pythons, morelia viridis

[Image: DSC4392-L.jpg]

[Image: 94840_209812_Large_uy7rZhsF3JVh.jpg]

And one awesome hybrid 75% green tree python crossed with 25% carpet python, 75% morelia viridis X 25% morelia spilota sp.

[Image: ms-08-bluecoiled1.jpg]

RE: Why people keep venom snake as pet? - Ram - 04-25-2012

These non-venomous snakes are beautiful too, but I still like that sunset cobra better, haha!